Mantid enclosures?

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone have pics of there mantid enclosures?

Jonathan/Highlander

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have any pictures but I can tell you that my mantid enclosures have always just been a large jar with a little subsrtrate and a stick. I know some people claim that a screened enclosure is the best set up and they may be right. Mantids are very easy to keep.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually keep adults in large well ventilated jars, and disposable cups when they are younger. All depends on species and size.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep adult mantids in appropriate sized "kritter keepers". I keep nymphs in plastic deli cups with mesh/screen lids, which I had to modify myself.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use tall, wide mouthed mason jars from Ikea (cost me £3 each and they look great). I stretch the toe of a pair of tights over the top for ventilation.

Ventilation is the major factor in keeping mantids alive. Adults even more than nymphs. This is why screened boxes and tanks are popular.

My ghost mantids live on a tall plant on my lounge windowledge. Species like the ghost mantis can be safely kept on your house plants since they don't wander about and they don't eat each other. I hang them like tree decorations and they keep the house fly-free. If they look underfed I put them in a jar with locusts/crickets overnight. I have two young cats that seem unable to see the mantids once they are on the plants.

When you mist your mantids, take them out of the tank/jar and mist them on your hand. They drink the water off their bodies and you don't end up with foggy glass.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
luther said:
When you mist your mantids, take them out of the tank/jar and mist them on your hand. They drink the water off their bodies and you don't end up with foggy glass.
Seriously? They won't spook and flee for their lives?