Man, Pholcids can be so mean!

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I have a building outside with hundreds of Pholcids covering the walls and ceiling. Was watching one small one taking down a pretty good size fly. He was doing a pretty good job wrangling his meal but a larger neighbor decided to come over and give the little guy a hand...then he took it with him...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds about right. They're a very competitive family when it comes to food. And it doesn't just involve other pholcids, they'll steal from widows as well until they get hungry enough that they decide to eat the widow.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Sounds about right. They're a very competitive family when it comes to food. And it doesn't just involve other pholcids, they'll steal from widows as well until they get hungry enough that they decide to eat the widow.
I've seen many what I believe to be E. atrica taken down by these guys. I assume that's what they are as we have a lot of those in the same building. Never seen one taken down but seen a lot of big bundles on the wall for a day or so. Also seen them eat one another a lot of times. It's a buggy bug world out there.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
They remind me of Parasteatoda tepidariorum, all common spiders you find in homes... the poor widows and yellow sac spiders struggle to compete.

Chin Crimson

Arachnopeon
I've seen many what I believe to be E. atrica taken down by these guys. I assume that's what they are as we have a lot of those in the same building. Never seen one taken down but seen a lot of big bundles on the wall for a day or so. Also seen them eat one another a lot of times. It's a buggy bug world out there.
They can take down anything!

I have Pholcids all over my flat and they are absolute deadly to anything that comes near them. My Bedroom ceiling is completely covered with web, and i saw the biggest Pholcid running from one ceiling corner to the other because it felt a ladybug nearby. Those guys are awesome!

Here just for fun the Pholcid i have in my bedroom, just done having sex with one of their males that hang nearby: (Pholcids can be sexy, too! :D)
20180728_065725.jpg

Now i have to move them because I dont wanna have 200 more in here. The 20 are enough to keep the mosquitos out!