Male Trapdoor has Matured

Fincloser

Arachnopeon
I have a male trapdoor spider that is atleast 3 years old (I'm sure 5). It has been in its hole for 3 years only to show its legs when eating. About 3 months ago he came out of his burrow and is fully mature (hooked out). He has not gone back to his burrow and just marches around his enclosure all night and curls up on the substrate during the day. I think I need to let him go and give him a chance to breed before he dies. My only concern is we are in the middle of winter. Now Alabama winters aren't that bad but he does not have a burrow to retreat to, so should I let him go or just try to let him finish his life in his enclosure?

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
What kind of trapdoor is this? I strongly recommend you don't release a nonnative spider.

Fincloser

Arachnopeon
What kind of trapdoor is this? I strongly recommend you don't release a nonnative spider.
I caught him here in Alabama 3 1/2 years ago. I do not believe any trapdoor is "native" to Alabama but I do know several trapdoor species have been "discovered " over the last decade. Anyway he was caught while digging out a pond and I cannot release him where I caught him.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
In that case, you can probably let him go. Male trapdoors looking for a mate have a high mortality anyway, so if he dies it won't have been your fault. I'm not sure he would particularly mind dying comfortably in captivity, though.

Fincloser

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply. I think I might give him a few more days and hope we have a break in the storms and release him. Hopefully he can get a little before he passes.