Male tarantulas have a bad rap

The Seraph

Arachnolord
If it was a very fast growing species that I would feel bad if it was male as I got to spend less time with it. If my B. hamorii turned out to be a male though, than oh well, I've had it for a long time. I will not be sad for it, but instead try to help it propagate.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If it was a very fast growing species that I would feel bad if it was male as I got to spend less time with it. If my B. hamorii turned out to be a male though, than oh well, I've had it for a long time. I will not be sad for it, but instead try to help it propagate.
And here people are on this forum complaining about having a male G. pulchra :rolleyes:. I wonder how long they'll last until maturity :troll:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
And here people are on this forum complaining about having a male G. pulchra :rolleyes:. I wonder how long they'll last until maturity :troll:
This darn sling has been the same size for two years - i've had it for three. At this point I couldn't care less what sex it turns out to be. :grumpy:

For me it's definitely longevity that's a key factor in my preference for females. I'm less bothered when slower growers end up male, since some of them can last as long as a female from a faster growing species. But as some people pointed out, if you buy a male (knowingly or not) without the intent on breeding it, it'd be pretty rotten imo to have it mature out in a molt or two and know that the end is on the horizon.

I was also under the impression that most males actively try to seek out a mate after maturing, and that they'll wander their enclosure and ignore food in a fruitless endeavor to find a female. Maybe it doesn't happen with all males, but for those that it does I'm sure it's depressing to watch in the event that you can't locate a female or someone who has one. Even so, my first MM that I currently have took a couple years to mature and don't regret having gotten the T.

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
I bought three Brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair) slings with the hope that at least one of them would be a female. So disappointed that they were all males, but it turned out for the best.
  1. Though I tried to feed them all the same, I had them on three different shelves. The top shelf matured the fastest, was the most hyper, and died earliest. The bottom matured latest, was pretty mellow, and lived longest (over a year longer). So I learned something interesting there with our first three Ts.
  2. I traded the one that matured quickest to a kid in Phoenix, AZ for other bugs. It least it got to mate and I also got a video of the event out of the deal.
  3. In their place I bought four Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee) slings, hoping to get a mating pair. Although half died, I'm enjoying these tarantulas more, and I got lucky to end up with a mating pair who matured at the same time (on the same shelf).
By the way, between the two G. pulchripes, the male is the better looking and more interesting right now, in my opinion. He's long-legged and, though he's not eating, he's active (especially sexually), drumming, and exhibiting other interesting behaviors.

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty sure that the B. albopilosum matured at different rates due to temperature differences on shelves. Heat rises and any lights I used in each tank just compounded the temperature difference.
G. pulchripes would have been at the same temperature, and I didn't feed them a whole lot, so that might have kept them at pace with one another.
Here where the real magic comes into play:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/breeding-videos.322321/#post-2956385

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
They're going to cark it regardless but I'd rather they get to dip their wang-fingers (or get munched trying) prior to that happening.
Can't decide between 'funny' or 'agree' and I've swapped between the two reactions several times now. :D

Honestly, the vast majority of my collection have been purchased as slings. I'm just getting started in the hobby but I really look forward to doing some breeding! I have a MM out on a breeding loan right now. I honestly was heartbroken to see him go, but it really is a fun part of the hobby despite making me sad. Of course I want as much time as possible with these beautiful species, but I also have a long wish list and only so much space - even with the entire office dedicated to my tarantulas.

So I personally don't have much of a preference either way, because I feel like there are positive aspects of males and female tarantulas. It is sad to say goodbye though. I probably won't ever get better at it, but it's a necessary part of the hobby.

There are two in my collection that I desperately hope will turn out to be females - Lucy, my very first tarantula, and my Poecilotheria fasciata sling, simply because of the difficulties in getting Sri Lankan pokies here in the states.

Otherwise, like all the other good parents out there, I don't care if its a boy or a girl I just want it to be healthy. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Never had a male T myself, but then again I've got a lot of un-sexed juveniles and slings, so who knows.
I always thought I'd trade anything rare to help the hobby, but any that are readily available, I'd just keep them and make sure they have a good life.
I also don't buy that they wither away and spend their days longing for some action and nothing else. They may have an instinct to wander more than a female, but I think they just want occasional food and to be left alone like any other tarantula.

cold blood

Staff member
In their place I bought four Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee) slings, hoping to get a mating pair. Although half died, I'm enjoying these tarantulas more, and I got lucky to end up with a mating pair who matured at the same time (on the same shelf).
Not a good way to go about looking for a breeding pair. Intentionally breeding siblings should really be avoided if at all possible.

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
Males are money in my book. I've traded , sold, loaned and bred them. They have completely financed my hobby and then some.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Why is it okay to not breed a mature female but not breeding a mature male frowned upon?
Makes no sense.

Male tarantulas are cool, they still a long time if you raised from a sling. Females are a huge commitment if you raise from a sling you can have that T 20+ years.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I have a 57 year old parrot who could live into his 80s so I'm used to long term commitment pets. With that, I dont mind males. I would just feel bad if I couldnt provide a female for one once he matures.
I have a 20 year old cockatiel. I know what you mean. He's an old grouch but I love him. : ) I agree with the mature male withering away without a lady. Sad.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
For me personally it is the same as what has been said. I live in South Africa, the hobby is steady here but not huge. Getting a uncommon male is basically sealing it's fate that he will never get to "dip their wang-fingers" as @The Grym Reaper said.

Mating uncommon females is easier since you keep them longer and your chances go up. I feel bad for the uncommon males in my country. :(

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Not a good way to go about looking for a breeding pair. Intentionally breeding siblings should really be avoided if at all possible.
I don't mind flipping coins to see what I get. I'm not desperate to get a pair, and enjoy raising them from slings, getting the most out of their short lives if they happen to males.
I got all my slings from two or three vendors, though I lost track which was which, so these might be siblings. I read elsewhere here that problems don't usually occur unless there are multiple inbreedings.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
There is more to it than just their lifespan. People are also looking at resale value and being in a better position to breed themselves. It is much easier to be sitting on a female for years, than having to try to find a female for some species of males. I am sitting on a number of males that I am never going to find females for because they are just not common enough in Canada.
In the same boat. Just bad timing for some, I've got two Poecies unlikely to find ready-to-pair females in time with a Poecilotheria subfusca "lowland" and P. tigrinawesseli, a MM Chilobrachys fimbriatus, just not enough reputable hobbyists in my province doing any serious breeding (and most of the out of province folks haven't, just poor timing again even with some feelers put out). Getting a gal for the MM Chilobrachys fimbriatus is not too likely in time even with some digging, and the H. chilensis gal is going to have to wait for a mate likely until years end or next year.

Usually I just send them out when possible for a portion of a sac (if there are results) or a trade, but some dudes just pick the worst time to bulb out, and by the time there is a chance are probably on their last figurative legs too. Nature of the beast, I just hate them not having any chance at all to have a mate especially with species that could use more propagation in the country.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't mind flipping coins to see what I get. I'm not desperate to get a pair
Ok, but I was responding to...

• In their place I bought four Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee) slings, hoping to get a mating pair
Where you specifically say you bought 4 in hopes of getting a mating pair....it was this quote I responded to....I can only go by what you say, or type.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
The thing for me is a male is ultimately smaller than a female, I want a BIG tarantula, as big as possible of each species.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
And then you get some spectacular Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis or Phormictopus species male and it's like "Okay, okay, I take back what I said about males... for this genus" lol. I consider them fairly win win, because either you're getting some beefy looking female (that may still have some coloration for a while, or permanently for the real pricey ones), or some crazy colorful male for as long as he lives.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
In the same boat. Just bad timing for some, I've got two Poecies unlikely to find ready-to-pair females in time with a Poecilotheria subfusca "lowland" and P. tigrinawesseli
I have a male P. tigrinawesseli as well, in BC. Also a male P. metallica, and a male P. ornata. Sigh.

Both my H. pulchripes slings turned out male and have hooked out -- no one I could find needed a mature male of this species.