1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male tarantula(?)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Raygamer, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Raygamer

Raygamer Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    My Selenocosmia Javanensis been going out of his burrow alot at night and try to escape and kept drumming. Does this mean he's a mature male looking for a mate? Because i fed him well. I can't sex his molt because it would usually be on the bottom of his burrow and he destroy it to pieces. He's usually in his burrow but I've been seeing him going out alot lately.

Although if he is a male i haven't seen him produce a sperm web

2. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

They often destroy their sperm web, so just because you can't find it doesn't mean they didn't make one. The best thing to do is try to get a look at his pedipalps, or try to get a photo of them and post here for people to look at. A mature male's emboli is often very obvious.

3. Raygamer

I tried to look for his hook too but I'm not sure what they look like. Are there any pictures reference you can link me to that's on a tarantula and not a drawing

4. VanessaS

Not all species have hooks and some of them are difficult to spot. I'm not sure if that species has them. Emboli are very bulbous in appearance and are often described as looking like boxing gloves.

5. Raygamer

His pedipalp are round does that mean it's a male?

6. VanessaS

7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Selenocosmia don't have tibial hooks