Male Phidippus Regius- is he an adult?

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
Ok everybody
My boi has exited his sac, he is on top of it now. He hasn't moulted. But he seems to be chewing on/biting the sac
Wtf he do
He chewed a decent size hole in it and climbed back inside
What has he done
Does this have anything to do with moulting

basin79

ArachnoGod
He chewed a decent size hole in it and climbed back inside
What has he done
Does this have anything to do with moulting
Maybe he's just doing what it looks like. Making the entrance bigger.

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
Maybe he's just doing what it looks like. Making the entrance bigger.
And he is once again sitting on top of the sac. Made hole to get in, sitting on sac because he wishes to moult outside of it, and since he is much larger he will use the big hole to get in so he can allow his new exoskeleton to harden?

basin79

ArachnoGod
And he is once again sitting on top of the sac. Made hole to get in, sitting on sac because he wishes to moult outside of it, and since he is much larger he will use the big hole to get in so he can allow his new exoskeleton to harden?
He'll not moult outside of his hammock. If he's still out tomorrow see if he'll take a fly.

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
Ok, he's back inside now, and it seems the hole got bigger. Hopefully this means he is about to moult and will use the hole either as some sort of support or to get out of the sac when he finishes

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
He'll not moult outside of his hammock. If he's still out tomorrow see if he'll take a fly.
This spider is one strange boi
This is the most I've seen him move for over a week
He is just moving around in his sac
Pulling himself out through the hole and then back in
What is the meaning of this

basin79

ArachnoGod
This spider is one strange boi
This is the most I've seen him move for over a week
He is just moving around in his sac
Pulling himself out through the hole and then back in
What is the meaning of this
I'm unsure to be honest. You'll just have to keep an eye on him.

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
I'm unsure to be honest. You'll just have to keep an eye on him.
I am so confused by this spider
I got home and he was on the bottom of his enclosure roaming around, his sac practically destroyed
No signs of moult anywhere, in fact he looks no different.
I tried feeding him a small fly and a large fly. With both he delivered a quick venomless bite and walked away. They are both still alive.
Wtf is he doing? I'm starting to worry

basin79

ArachnoGod
I got home and he was on the bottom of his enclosure roaming around, his sac practically destroyed
I tried feeding him a small fly and a large fly. With both he delivered a quick venomless bite and walked away. They are both still alive.
I'm honestly unsure.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I've occasionally observed this in the jumper population that roams our porch. It's easier to spot the difference when there are several around to compare it to. I've always assumed it's the males doing the male thing, out to find romance. How they act coincides with sparring matches often taking place among the males. A noticeable change from they all are roaming-hunting and ignoring (or ambushing) each other to pairs facing off.

On a comic note, they notify me of the change, the mating season has begun. When I go out on the porch I often walk into several abandoned safety lines draped from the eaves that the sparring males have left behind.

Last edited:

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
I've occasionally observed this in the jumper population that roams our porch. It's easier to spot the difference when there are several around to compare it to. I've always assumed it's the males doing the male thing, out to find romance. How they act coincides with sparring matches often taking place among the males. A noticeable change from they all are roaming-hunting and ignoring (or ambushing) each other to pairs facing off.
Do immature jumpers do that? He's not an adult.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Do immature jumpers do that? He's not an adult.
Purely unscientific here, I'd say yes. They aren't robots. There is no switch flipped that completely changes their behavior. Immatures could very well be 'feeling their oats' even though they aren't fully equipped.

Call this an idiot analogy. Take a ~<yearling colt. Ready and willing to mount a mare... and completely incapable of performing once he gets up there.

Last edited:

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
I agree. His behavior very much sounds like he is trying and failing to build a sperm web.

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
I'm honestly unsure.
He has been sitting on the bottom all day and just wanders around. I give him food items, and what he does it stalk them, pounce on them, and then deliver a bite. Then lets go and walks away? This is hunting behaviour, but nothing he bites dies and he won't actually eat anything

Noah Clark

Arachnopeon
I'm honestly unsure.
Ok he kept going at it, and he eventually held on and is now eating his mealworm. Perhaps since his fangs are so big he wasn't accurately hitting a part on the worm that would be good to inject his venom into? He attacked it 4 times, and every time it moved he went after it again. I'm glad to see him eating, I'm guessing after this meal he'll be ready to moult as his abdomen still hasn't gotten any smaller since he ate on September 14th.

basin79

ArachnoGod
He has been sitting on the bottom all day and just wanders around. I give him food items, and what he does it stalk them, pounce on them, and then deliver a bite. Then lets go and walks away? This is hunting behaviour, but nothing he bites dies and he won't actually eat anything
All my jumpers have either been hungry and ate or not and have either ignored the prey item or been hidden away.

Have you tried him on flies?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ok he kept going at it, and he eventually held on and is now eating his mealworm. Perhaps since his fangs are so big he wasn't accurately hitting a part on the worm that would be good to inject his venom into? He attacked it 4 times, and every time it moved he went after it again. I'm glad to see him eating, I'm guessing after this meal he'll be ready to moult as his abdomen still hasn't gotten any smaller since he ate on September 14th.
Fantastic. I didn't see this post as I had your other post opened and had to let Typhon out.

Really, really chuffed for the 2 of you.