Male or female h. arizonensis?

Corevus

Arachnopeon
Here's Rose, my h arizonensis. I took this pic a little while back, before she went into hibernation. I'm guessing she's female?

Also, those rocks she's standing on are just in the corner. That's not all her substrate.

Thanks

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bump. I suck at sexing Hadrurus so I'll leave that up to someone with more experience.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well I gave it a shot, couldn't count past around 12-14 on the pectines to the right however. It's tough getting detailed photos for a pectines count. If you have and post more photos I'll give it another try. For now I can't say anything definitive.

Corevus

Arachnopeon
Well I gave it a shot, couldn't count past around 12-14 on the pectines to the right however. It's tough getting detailed photos for a pectines count. If you have and post more photos I'll give it another try. For now I can't say anything definitive.
Yeah it's tough. I'll try getting more pics after she's come out of hibernation. Thanks for the attempt!

Inverts4life1

Arachnosquire
You could also try looking at the angle of the pectines where they join the body. My female showed it quite clearly and the angle the pectines show in your picture suggests a female to me (could also just be the angle of the picture)....I pasted a more clear description than I could below. This is from a post on scorpionforum about sexing H. arizonensis....Though I like this method, I would still definitely count the pectines teeth...hope this helps a little.

"...Female... Look at the pectines where they join the body. The "piece" from which they articulate is called the "basal piece". Look at the angle of the pectine from the basal piece to the first tooth, then down the edges of the teeth, you will see that it forms an obtuse angle, roughly 120° and are parallel to each other:"

"Male... Notice the pectinal teeth are larger (both of these are adults, mind you), giving the pectines a more "fluffy" appearance, as some of us say, and the basal edges are acute, roughly 90° and often overlap, depending on the species, sometimes even extending beyond the legs and visible from above:"

Corevus

Arachnopeon
You could also try looking at the angle of the pectines where they join the body. My female showed it quite clearly and the angle the pectines show in your picture suggests a female to me (could also just be the angle of the picture)....I pasted a more clear description than I could below. This is from a post on scorpionforum about sexing H. arizonensis....Though I like this method, I would still definitely count the pectines teeth...hope this helps a little.

"...Female... Look at the pectines where they join the body. The "piece" from which they articulate is called the "basal piece". Look at the angle of the pectine from the basal piece to the first tooth, then down the edges of the teeth, you will see that it forms an obtuse angle, roughly 120° and are parallel to each other:"

"Male... Notice the pectinal teeth are larger (both of these are adults, mind you), giving the pectines a more "fluffy" appearance, as some of us say, and the basal edges are acute, roughly 90° and often overlap, depending on the species, sometimes even extending beyond the legs and visible from above:"
This is very helpful, thank you!