Making your own Crested Gecko diet?

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
Is it possible to make the food for cresties myself? I don't have any right now, but once I get a driver's license and job I'm allowed to get some :) I'm planning on preparing raw food for my ferrets and I rather enjoy the thought of making food myself. We've got bananas, apples, avacados, many things! I could mix in mealworms myself for the protein. However I've never heard of anyone doing this, so I'm wondering if there's more to fruits and worms, some sort of vitamin I'd have to provide? I have calcium for my leopard gecko, I could add that as well? Tell me what you think

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
There are quite a few reptile forums I’ve seen discuss this, though I’ve not read up on the topic in any length. It can be done, I assume. One thing I’d recommend is feeding live bugs. Mixing worms in is all well and good, but live bugs provide the animal with enrichment.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Is it possible to make the food for cresties myself? I don't have any right now, but once I get a driver's license and job I'm allowed to get some :) I'm planning on preparing raw food for my ferrets and I rather enjoy the thought of making food myself. We've got bananas, apples, avacados, many things! I could mix in mealworms myself for the protein. However I've never heard of anyone doing this, so I'm wondering if there's more to fruits and worms, some sort of vitamin I'd have to provide? I have calcium for my leopard gecko, I could add that as well? Tell me what you think
You could, certainly, and might be good for treats, but one of the best things about these reptiles is the large variety of flavours/ingredients in the prepared foods available, and ease of which the Pangea/Repashy is to make. I know they are properly balanced for protein, vitamin D, etc. And less time spent preparing food = more time for more geckos....

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
There are quite a few reptile forums I’ve seen discuss this, though I’ve not read up on the topic in any length. It can be done, I assume. One thing I’d recommend is feeding live bugs. Mixing worms in is all well and good, but live bugs provide the animal with enrichment.
I'll keep that in mind. I love feeding live bugs to my animals :)

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
That's true. I'll probably just stick to Repashy and give them banana slices for treats so that both me and the gecko are satisfied :)
You could, certainly, and might be good for treats, but one of the best things about these reptiles is the large variety of flavours/ingredients in the prepared foods available, and ease of which the Pangea/Repashy is to make. I know they are properly balanced for protein, vitamin D, etc. And less time spent preparing food = more time for more geckos....

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
one thing that could be the best of both worlds is using a pre-balanced food mix but adding various types of fruit purees. Mine really loves berries and watermelon.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
That's true. I'll probably just stick to Repashy and give them banana slices for treats so that both me and the gecko are satisfied :)
There is an excellent podcast out there (wish I could remember who) about Cresties and discussing how hard is it to balance a diet with Mr. Repashy himself.

My personal opinion is its fine to offer treats (i.e. every couple of weeks, in season fruits) but that the pre-packaged diets are perfectly balanced to create health, colour and vigour that one may be putting their gecko in jeopardy by supplementing too much, especially any external calcium, magnesium, potassium or carbs (including extra fruits).

I am personally rotating 7-8 different kinds of Pangea and Repashy to make sure I'm offering variety along with some flavour and ingredient differences, along with the *occasional* superworm, which my Cresties rarely take but my one Gargoyle and Chahoua *love*.