Making Mud Pies In The Oven

Deb60

Arachnosquire
is it just me , or do you find That you make the cocoa fibre to damp and end up having to put it in the oven to dry it out . I’m sure my husband thinks I’m losing my marbles

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I finally found a method that produces a less wet final product. Use 3/4 of the water amount recommended in the instructions and use very HOT (175) water. After 2-5hrs it should be ready to use. I also mix mine with equal parts of topsoil which absorbs some of the residual moisture.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I buy them from a shop called Therange brilliant shop.
I think it's £6 for 6 litres I think... or maybe 8 litres...
I notice you get yours from The Range , is it the same one that you use for plants ?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've baked mine in the oven more than once! Not really crazy about the smell - but it's not too bad, either. It depends on what I need it for, how quickly I need it - and what I'm going to be mixing in. Usually, the additional dirt or sand that I mix in absorbs most of the excess moisture, so it's usually not a problem.

What I prefer to do is just soak a few bricks ahead of time, so I've always got a batch of not-so-wet substrate in the bucket for that emergency rehouse (or surprise invert that I just couldn't pass up!)

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I just dump a whole 32oz cup of water on a brick, and separate the remaining dry part of the brick.

Dump a half a cup on the dry part when needed.

First time I did it I made soup...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Na, break the block up into small chunks with a chisel and pour in just enough water to cover what you have, leave for 10 minutes and then crumble it all up.

It's not sopping wet and dries out at about the same rate as fresh topsoil that way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I finally found a method that produces a less wet final product. Use 3/4 of the water amount recommended in the instructions and use very HOT (175) water. After 2-5hrs it should be ready to use. I also mix mine with equal parts of topsoil which absorbs some of the residual moisture.

Indeed hot water far superior to cold water. When you use cold, you are in the oven, when you use hold, not so.