Making a clay hide?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
So, while doing crafts with the kids, my girlfriend came up with the idea of making hides out of clay for tarantulas.

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this as far as risk to the tarantula. Any common clay ingredients that might be harmful? Also, i was planning to paint anything i made before putting it in. Thoughts on paint are welcome too.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
So, while doing crafts with the kids, my girlfriend came up with the idea of making hides out of clay for tarantulas.

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this as far as risk to the tarantula. Any common clay ingredients that might be harmful? Also, i was planning to paint anything i made before putting it in. Thoughts on paint are welcome too.
As long as it is natural you should be fine. Earthenware, stoneware, and kaolin clay should be fine. As long as the paints are also nontoxic and not composed of insecticides or arachnocides you should be fine. What clay are you going to use?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
This is what we have from our other projects. Just cheap stuff from hobby lobby i think. And the paint is just cheap acrylic from walmart.

15443165032287354161289762104212.jpg

1544316637856765890721012652400.jpg

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Should be fine as long as you coat it in a waterproof, nontoxic varnish. Make 100% sure the varnish is non toxic. Polymer is the best isn't it? I am actually using it right now.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Should be fine as long as you coat it in a waterproof, nontoxic varnish. Make 100% sure the varnish is non toxic. Polymer is the best isn't it? I am actually using it right now.
Thank you. I will find a varnish.

Honestly, i am not an artsy person so i know nothing about the different kinds of anything. LOL.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Thank you. I will find a varnish.

Honestly, i am not an artsy person so i know nothing about the different kinds of anything. LOL.
I would recommend varathane as a sealant (varnish). It is easy to get, waterproof and foodsafe. Just make sure it has completely dried before you put it in the tarantulas enclosure. Also I just realized that is air dry clay not polymer (basically is plastic based and requires an oven) isn't it?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I would recommend varathane as a sealant (varnish). It is easy to get, waterproof and foodsafe. Just make sure it has completely dried before you put it in the tarantulas enclosure. Also I just realized that is air dry clay not polymer (basically is plastic based and requires an oven) isn't it?
Yes it is air dry.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can use pretty much anything as long as it fully dries first and you make sure there are no fumes in the enclosure.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
You probably wouldn't need it then unless you were planning to use the paint, depending on the species.
Okay. i will paint it though, if for no other reason, i think it will be much easier to clean if it has been painted.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I've seen mentions in the past of people using polymer clay to make water dishes and hides. As long as it is fully baked it's safe, I'd let it air out for a couple weeks for good measure though. I wouldn't use air dry if it is going to come into contact with any moisture.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
This is what we have from our other projects. Just cheap stuff from hobby lobby i think. And the paint is just cheap acrylic from walmart.

View attachment 294165

View attachment 294167
thats some weird pasta bro.

anyways bro as long as nothing bad in it, or as said varnish it yet I would not recommend painting it. honestly it sounds like a lot of tedious trouble while one can go through similar trouble and grab ones axe(all men have axes) and one hit slice a slim*thicc* tree and make a hide out the bark...wait this requires an oven and thats not manly never mind bro.

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
Acrylic paint is non toxic once dried so no need to seal it. It’s even used by reef aquarium keepers to paint white PVC black and vivarium keepers to do detail work on fake rock etc.

SapphireTigress

Arachnopeon
Sculpey is great and safe, acrylic paints are too. I also use perler beads which are fish and animal safe.

Usually food safe means animal safe unless its fish as food safe means doesn't have a porous material to harbor bacteria which is obviously preferred in aquatic setups.

Plastics must not leech or get chewed but these dont, which for ts is nice if you have a humid species.

Legos have also been confirmed as animal and fish safe.

Plecos sucked all my acrylic paint off my clay projects. They were fine but my projects looked awful Haha!

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know a keeper who uses some homemade clay hides... just fired without any varnish or anything. Don't think he's ever had any issues. I personally wouldn't use a clay hide for the same reason I wouldn't put rocks or anything else heavy in the enclosure: if by some accident it happens to get knocked over it really increases the risk of harm to the spider.