1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintenance Concerns

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by tiptoeTs, Mar 11, 2017.

1. tiptoeTs

tiptoeTs Arachnopeon

US
    Advertisement
    So, I'm new to Ts. I only have one, a tiny B. Albo sling. My question is in regards to enclosure maintenance. I know you're suppose to remove prey remains and any poo, but...what if you can't find any??

The little thing has had a pin head Lat every day for three days and I just cannot find any trace of them or poo and I'm worried there's going to be mites or some other horrid thing become of it. They get dragged down into the burrow and then they're never to be seen again. Do I need to worry about it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You are overly concerned. So-called grain mites do not take down T slings, though they can irritate them and adult Ts too. Small Ts generate small poop, just clean it out periodically, don't ask how often, make an executive decision hah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tiptoeTs

tiptoeTs Arachnopeon

US
    Hey, thank you! I figured that was the case, but thought it better to ask. :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Better to be safe than sorry :p:D:cool:

Also, while we call them "grain" mites, I don't know a soul who has ID'd the mite they found in with the Ts in captivity, myself included.

They are the one arachnid I despise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tiptoeTs

tiptoeTs Arachnopeon

US
    Oh yes, I despise mites. I've had to deal with them in almost every critter I've ever had, at some point or another. All of those were mammals, though. Such a pain to get rid of :banghead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking Active Member

Consider also that "little sling, little (proper) sized prey, little to remove" and the fact that, a sling, would be re-housed definitely before a 'mites' infestation due to 'bad husbandry' could occur :-s

• Like Like x 1