Maimed frog

keks

Arachnobaron
I surely don't underestimate the power of beaks from storks and herons, but never saw one here between our houses. They have huge meadows outside the village and they avoid people. What surely doesn't mean that the one or another specimen could have been here although, of course.

I live in Austria, we don't have ANY turtles/tortoises here in the wild (except a few, very sheltered environments where Emys orbicularis lives, but they are only small spots in another country). We even don't have any lakes or ponds nearby where immigrated turtles could live. The river has a granite riverbed, is too cold and the current is very strong, you risk your life by swimming. Not very comfortable for (immigrated) turtles.

Of course it could have been another bird, a crow or a raven for example. We will never know exactly ;).

My main concern was to ID this frog for an adjusted nursery, but I'm afraid this question was a bit too specific. We (my daughter and me) assume that it is Rana dalmatina and adjust the housing conditions to this species. And hope, that everything will be fine for everyone of us ^^.

I let you know if something changes ... to the good or to the bad side .... :).

keks

Arachnobaron
Update:
The frog is still fine, my daughter brought it to me for shelter of her (younger) kids. It becomes cheeky and is active hunting crickets ^^. The wound looks good, nothing became inflamed (?).
I keep it still in a smaller box with kitchen paper and a water dish, hoping that it soon can house in a terrarium.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes, inflamed is correct. If a wound becomes swollen, red, leaks pus, or any combination of the three, then chances are good it has gotten infected. If it scabs up and looks clean then it's probably healing alright.

At least, that's the rule of thumb for humans. I suspect it's quite similar if not identical for frogs.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
@keks

Es ist erledigt. Nicht gut. (My Deutsch is rusty) I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Frog dies. As long as it is comfortable and the wound is healing, all is well. Certainly can't bring him back to the wild though. :(

Last edited:

keks

Arachnobaron
Es ist erledigt. Nicht gut. (My Deutsch is rusty)
What exactly do you mean with this? The frog and its injury in general?

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Frog dies. As long as it is comfortable and the wound is healing, all is well. Certainly can't bring him back to the wild though. :(

At the moment Mr. (or Mrs) Frog is ok, don't look like dying ^^. To keep it in enclosures for the rest of its life makes me feel sad, but I know it can't survive outdoors :(....

keks

Arachnobaron
I can't edit the last sentence!!! Every time I deleted the last "quote" in edit modus to get my sentence out of the quote-box, it is back when sending the post -.-"

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
What exactly do you mean with this? The frog and its injury in general?
I meant to say that it would be finished if put back in the wild but that was before I re-read the thread and realized that I was stating the obvious and that you were planning to put it in a terrarium

Last edited: