Maimed frog

keks

Arachnobaron
My grandson (7) and his girlfriend (4) brought this frog. It has only one leg, and it seems to be a fresh injury.
Now we are not sure what species of frog it is. We assume that it is either Rana dalmatina, or maybe although Rana temporaria? I would suppose it is R. dalmatina. But as said .. not sure :wacky:. It is a small frog, for sure born this year.
And we are considering what to do with him? On the one side we want to safe its life, keeping it in a enclosure. On the other side ... is this still animal shelter? There are wild caught tarantulas too, but they don't jump 50 cm upwards and 2 meters forwards. Can we take the responsibility for keeping it in a small enclosure for the rest of its life?
But on the other side ... to put it out again ... with the knowledge that it will not survive at all is a bad thought too :bag:.
We would keep it on moist or wet kitchen paper until the wound is closed. And then in an enclosure .. don't know just now what size.
Or we can leave it in freedom next year, if there is a little chance that it can survive with this one leg. Maybe it can learn to jump with one leg again? Animals are always surprising us ^^.

Hope you can help us to identify and help us finding a usable compromise :).

comp_1download_20170910_152756.jpg comp_1download_20170910_152835.jpg comp_1download_20170910_152856.jpg comp_1IMG_20170910_152527.jpg comp_1IMG_20170910_152609.jpg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That fellow's a goner in the wild for sure. And do keep in mind that just because it can jump 2m, doesn't mean it particularly wants to. You should be fine giving it a split land/water enclosure, not sure what size.

keks

Arachnobaron
That fellow's a goner in the wild for sure. And do keep in mind that just because it can jump 2m, doesn't mean it particularly wants to. You should be fine giving it a split land/water enclosure, not sure what size.
Usually both frogs, Rana temporaria and Rana dalmatina live kilometers away from water, except when they are breeding. But R. temporaria wants it more moist/humid, R. dalmatina want it more dry. So I am unsure what really to do because it is a small frog and not an adult. I don't feel confident to identify it correct.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I would at least give it a gradient from dry to moist and see where it likes to hang out. If you have a long tank where one side is partially or entirely submerged and then slope the ground away from that, you should be ok for pretty much anything. If you find it's using one area far more than any other, you can adjust conditions accordingly.

keks

Arachnobaron
In the meantime I think it is Rana dalmatina, and I found the rule how to keep it. It is almost what I thought it would be: steppe-like with temperatures between 4 and 30°C, light moist and with hibernation. 40%-80% humidity, enclosure with 1 qm groundspace, 70cm tall.
First it must survive.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Poor baby, look at that leg. You're going to have to worry about that leg getting infected, but I'm not sure what one would use to clean a frog-wound.

I'd personally give him or her a shot at life by keeping them inside, but I've got too soft a heart when it comes to animals. Losing limbs and even dying because of it is just what happens in nature, that's an important thing to accept. Buuuuut I don't think you'd be irreparably altering the ecosystem around you by keeping one WC specimen.

keks

Arachnobaron
Poor baby, look at that leg. You're going to have to worry about that leg getting infected, but I'm not sure what one would use to clean a frog-wound.

I'd personally give him or her a shot at life by keeping them inside, but I've got too soft a heart when it comes to animals. Losing limbs and even dying because of it is just what happens in nature, that's an important thing to accept. Buuuuut I don't think you'd be irreparably altering the ecosystem around you by keeping one WC specimen.
I don't know too how to keep this wound clean. I kept frogs years ago, but no one of them lost a leg. Tomorrow my daughter will buy a KK, and we will keep it on kitchen paper, changing it several times a day. I think we can't do much more. I have no idea what medicals a frog will tolerate so we can't use anything.

It is not allowed to keep this frogs in captivity, and I would never keep a healthy frog. But this one must be an exception (in my opinion). I know that it is nature that animals harm and die. I would leave it outside, even when it hurts. But the children took it home, so we now have the responsibility for that frog, I think. I even have no idea if it is a good idea to go to the vet. I think they are not familiar with frogs, they only know cows, horses, cats and dogs.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Well after doing a little digging it looks like people use Neosporin on their frog's wounds, and that you don't have Neosporin in Austria but you have something similar.

What is Neosporin said:
Neosporin is a first-aid ointment available without a prescription that contains three antibiotic ingredients in a petroleum jelly base.

First aid ointment can be used to treat minor skin injuries. If you have deep cuts, puncture wounds, animal bites, serious burns, or injuries affecting large areas of skin, call your doctor or get emergency medical help. Neosporin may be recommended for home care after minor surgery but this is becoming less common.

Brand Names include: Medi-Quik, Mycitracin, Neosporin, and Triple Antibiotic.

Generic Names are: bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B (topical).

The active ingredients in Neosporin are three antibiotics that fight different types of infection: neomycin, polysporin, and bacitracin.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
With proper care it could definitely survive in captivity, but in the wild it'd be done for. Both reptiles and amphibians seem to be champions at healing serious injuries of given proper care

keks

Arachnobaron
Well after doing a little digging it looks like people use Neosporin on their frog's wounds, and that you don't have Neosporin in Austria but you have something similar.
Thanks, I will try to get it :)

With proper care it could definitely survive in captivity, but in the wild it'd be done for. Both reptiles and amphibians seem to be champions at healing serious injuries of given proper care
This are my thoughts too :).

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure how popular the movie "Forrest Gump" is outside of America, but if you've seen it then you should name the frog Lieutenant Dan. :rofl:

keks

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure how popular the movie "Forrest Gump" is outside of America, but if you've seen it then you should name the frog Lieutenant Dan. :rofl:
Principally it is very popular, I tell it to my daughter, she has the frog :D.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
hey dude! i fond one of those as well! pretty common, but his friends were green, he was the only brown, and surprisingly he was missing a leg!

keks

Arachnobaron
hey dude! i fond one of those as well! pretty common, but his friends were green, he was the only brown, and surprisingly he was missing a leg!
I suppose that they were caught by a snake and could escape by losing a leg. We have Natrix natrix here, they are frog eaters. Do I remember well that you living in Greece? There should Natrix natrix live too, don't they?
This frogs can different in colors.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I suppose that they were caught by a snake and could escape by losing a leg. We have Natrix natrix here, they are frog eaters. Do I remember well that you living in Greece? There should Natrix natrix live too, don't they?
This frogs can different in colors.
I would have thought that a snake would be most likely not to sever a leg? I could be wrong...this kind of injury reminds me most of a turtle I saw that had been injured by a heron--there were chips out of one of the back corners of the shell, and it had lost a leg. If a heron mostly missed, its sharp beak could still certainly cause damage to whatever it hit. Also, if a heron grabbed the frog by a leg, the frog might manage to self-amputate accidentally and escape that way. I think a snake would be unlikely to cause this kind of injury, although I believe they do often attack a leg.

keks

Arachnobaron
I would have thought that a snake would be most likely not to sever a leg? I could be wrong...this kind of injury reminds me most of a turtle I saw that had been injured by a heron--there were chips out of one of the back corners of the shell, and it had lost a leg. If a heron mostly missed, its sharp beak could still certainly cause damage to whatever it hit. Also, if a heron grabbed the frog by a leg, the frog might manage to self-amputate accidentally and escape that way. I think a snake would be unlikely to cause this kind of injury, although I believe they do often attack a leg.
Natrix natrix is the only reason I could imagine at the moment, I don't know just now if storks are still here or not :bag:. Herons are not in our immediate environment, they try to avoid humans and there are many children making a lot of noise all the day on the playground.
I oftener saw Natrix natrix catching a frog on its rear leg(s), so that why it was my first intention. It is a cruel thing to watch this snakes eating because they don't kill their prey, but eat it alive. Mostly from the back first, and it needs a long time until the frog is eaten :dead:. So the frog has also the possibility to amputate its leg.
But however, that are all scenario of what could have happened :(.
Thanks for your thoughts :).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
For what it is worth. I've observed a few thousand frogs go down snakes hatches here but cannot recall ever seeing amputations. I'm sure this does happen but Hannah... eyes roll. Think those hot dog eating contests.
Conversely, we have several species of bird that regularly slice and dice frog. Most commonly the aim is off and the beak gets a limb. Head toss, frog goes flying, bird gulps the leg.
And don't underestimate the power and sharpness of those beaks. I've watched the open bill storks turn the big snails here, Lissachatina fulica, into paste in a couple of bites. A frog is a no chance with the razor sharp beak ridges of storks and herons..

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Do you have snapping turtles local? I could see a swift snap from one of those, aimed just wrong so they got a leg instead of the entire frog.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Almost anything could take a leg off a small frog, birds are big culprits as they pick up small frogs and other animals by the legs, as the animal struggles + the bird flying the legs get twisted off at the joints. Maybe this guy lost several legs because the predator kept trying but eventually lost it