mailing tarantulas?

insane247

Arachnosquire
Hey I am a beginner hobbyist and I have four tarantulas. I never believed in ordering them to be mailed because I thought it wasn't safe and so therefore I have been having a hard time expanding my collection because the tarantulas I want just simply are not being sold in Edmonton, and I will NEVER buy from a pet store (they are given a crash course on care and I've seen so many unhealthy, poorly cared for ts in stores). So I've seen some "unboxing" videos that have changed my opinion on mailing ts.

So I have a few questions about having ts mailed to you so I can understand the process and also so I cannot be scammed. I have had breeders try to scam me assuming I have a lack of knowledge in certain areas and I've heard of many breeders that take advantage of beginner's lack of knowledge. I've had a guy once try to sell me a "female spiderling" thinking I'm an idiot.

1. what are costs of mailing tarantulas?
2. is buying tarantulas online from breeders like typical online buying where they are sold for less than in stores or local selling?
3. how should a tarantula be PROPERLY packaged?
4. How to spot a scammer?
5. Who are reliable breeders that mail tarantulas and have a good reputation?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm still somewhat of a newbie, but I'll throw in my two cents.

1. It seems like, more often than not, the shipping costs more than the tarantula itself. That's why most people buy several at once, to maximize on shipping costs. Buying 1 sling will (usually) cost the same to ship as 3 slings. For most, buying online is the only real way to buy.

2. I've only been to one expo, and luckily there is a reliable shop near me that carries a wide variety of tarantulas. Comparing the store to online, the prices are about identical - this is likely because even that retailer is buying from the same people you and I buy from. As for the expo, it was WAY cheaper. Like, half price in some instances. On top of that, it allows you to haggle. I haggled a free adult female B. emilia because of how much I bought from a single vendor.

3. Gonna pass on this one, because I've never packaged one.

4. There is a forum on this site that deals specifically with reviews for sellers. I have bought from Ken the Bug Guy, NetBug, and Redbeard Reptiles - the latter is my favorite, and is the same guy that I bought my T's from at the expo.

5. (see #4)

tweakz

Arachnosquire
1. Usually 30-40 USD. Most people will provide LAG(Live Arrival Guarantee) with their own policies.
2. Generally the T itself will cost less but because of shipping its only worth it when buying an adult or multiple T's.
3. Moist papertowel cocoon inside of deli cup or tupperware container, surrounded by packing materials inside of a styrofoam box. Heat or Cold packs if necessary based on local weather.
4. The easiest way to be confident when purchasing from the classifieds is to check the review thread. The majority of users on here will not risk their reputation to scam a quick buck. If someones selling an AF P. metallica for 250 dollars and has no reviews, probably not legit.
5. Most of the users in the classifieds are reliable but if you are uncomfortable with that there are some established dealers: Kenthebugguy, paul at petcenterusa, and jamie's tarantulas come to mind. However you are in Canada so the only one I know off the top of my head is Tarantula Canada.

Welcome to the hobby!

cold blood

Staff member
Hey I am a beginner hobbyist and I have four tarantulas. I never believed in ordering them to be mailed because I thought it wasn't safe and so therefore I have been having a hard time expanding my collection because the tarantulas I want just simply are not being sold in Edmonton, and I will NEVER buy from a pet store (they are given a crash course on care and I've seen so many unhealthy, poorly cared for ts in stores). So I've seen some "unboxing" videos that have changed my opinion on mailing ts.

So I have a few questions about having ts mailed to you so I can understand the process and also so I cannot be scammed. I have had breeders try to scam me assuming I have a lack of knowledge in certain areas and I've heard of many breeders that take advantage of beginner's lack of knowledge. I've had a guy once try to sell me a "female spiderling" thinking I'm an idiot.

1. what are costs of mailing tarantulas?
2. is buying tarantulas online from breeders like typical online buying where they are sold for less than in stores or local selling?
3. how should a tarantula be PROPERLY packaged?
4. How to spot a scammer?
5. Who are reliable breeders that mail tarantulas and have a good reputation?
Hold on, you've been on AB for 4 years and you are asking these questions now? Have you ever perused AB in its entirety? Every question can be answered by simply looking through classifieds for a bit.

1. Shipping varies, depending on where you buy from and how quick you desire the t. Overnight is generally from $35-$50 and always has LAG. Many places offer 2 day or priority shipping for $10-25, and many still offer LAG, except during the coldest months.

2. Yes, but it varies. There are online stores, which offer prices better than an LPS (and similar to an expo, although great deals can be had there as well), and then there are 100's of breeders selling in the classifieds that are considerably cheaper than the online stores. There's so may options available its ridiculous.

3. Look up packaging slings on you tube, plenty of vids as well as vids posted on various threads here discussing. They need to be packed fairly tightly to prevent the spider from shifting or moving. As Tweakz explained.

Which leads into 4 and 5. All of the last 3 can be quickly discerned by going to the review section and reading their reviews as has been mentioned repeatedly. If you still have concerns, you can just message people who made reviews and get their opinions. I seriously believe "scammers" are the exception, not the rule...not something you generally need to worry about, because as soon as someone starts acting shady, it quickly gets posted in the reviews. These people in the classifieds rely on their good reviews and it doesn't take much to sour things, so most are very good and not apt to shenanigans. There are waaaaaaaay more breeders here that are stone cold reliable and have excellent reputations that are just waiting to mail you a few (dozen) t's.

There's no reason to avoid shipping them, they ship amazingly well and they are the only way to expand your collection in terms of variety as the vast majority of species are simply not sold in pet stores with any kind of regularity...by shipping them, you can almost get anything you desire. I've made about 7 different orders in the past year or two, all with separate sellers here in the AB classifieds. Not only did I get really good deals, often on hard to find or expensive species, but have yet to have anything perish in the shipping process. All have been as reliable and as good at packing as the corresponding reviews suggested. Shipping t's is what keeps the hobby alive and expanding, its certainly not something to fear or worry about. And you shouldn't be uncomfortable buying from dealers, they're the people in the hobby you WANT to meet.;)

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Tarantula Cananda, Arachnophiliacs, and Tangled in Webs are the main dealers in Canada. I've only dealt with Tarantula Canada and Arachnophiliacs. I prefer Arachnophiliacs because I find there to be more of a selection (although some older T names are used) and healthier spiders. However, I'm not trying to bash Tarantula Canada; they are also pretty good. Look in the review section if you want personal reviews.

Tarantula Canada
http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/price.php

Arachnophiliacs
http://www.arachnophiliacs.com/tar.html

Tangled in Webs
http://tangledinwebs.com

Again, I HIGHLY encourage you to read the reviews.

[Edit]
Noticing that you're in Edmonton, Big Al's has some interesting inverts, sometimes at a VERY good deal. I've gotten a 3" female Ceratogyrus darlingi from them for $50.

Also if Just Reptiles is still around they sell some Ts pretty cheap (5" female LP for $30 and a Brachypelma emilia 3.5" for $90).

Check your PM box.

Last edited:

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I just started in this hobby, this summer, with an order from Tarantula Canada. Very happy, I am. Shipping to my home just outside Toronto added $29 to my order. I'm not sure if you'd also have to add a heat pack to any order this time of year.

If you clicked the link that Arachnomaniac19 provided, you'll see TC is offering a group shipment to Edmonton. Getting in on this would reduce shipping to $10. There's still a week to join up.

Another option is waiting for a Reptile show near you. Some, if not all, the dealers mentioned by Arachnomaniac19 will likely attend, bringing spiders to sell you. (TC, for example, attended this one: http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/expo.html in May.) I added to my small collection an A.versicolor from TC at a recent show nearby. Cost of entry was probably a lot less than shipping would be and I'm pretty sure you could reserve or pre-order specific spiders. There was a lot of other hard-to-find things there also. Bring money if you go to one.

I don't mean to sound like an advert for TC, but I've not yet tried the other two dealers. I undoubtedly will though, and will be just as happy.