Madagascan Day Gecko

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
I'm thinking of getting a Madagascan Day Gecko, is that a good starter gecko? I wanted a day gecko and they seemed to be reasonably good for a beginner, so my parents have offered to pay for the setup as a late Christmas present.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have one, if you are talking the giant day gecko. You cannot handle them really because of their skin and they are very jumpy and quick, or at least mine is. They are hearty though and the care isn’t too difficult. As long as you don’t mind not being able to hold it and can care for it, I say go for it. Otherwise maybe a crested gecko or leopard gecko would be better.

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
I have one, if you are talking the giant day gecko. You cannot handle them really because of their skin and they are very jumpy and quick, or at least mine is. They are hearty though and the care isn’t too difficult. As long as you don’t mind not being able to hold it and can care for it, I say go for it. Otherwise maybe a crested gecko or leopard gecko would be better.
I am talking about Giant Day Gecko yes.
Are the other geckos better for handling?
I do want a pet I can let walk on my hand.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Well, my day gecko walks on my hand and that’s fine but then it wants to climb up the wall and then poops on me from 6 feet up. So yes other geckos would be better for handling I would say. For a beginner maybe go for a crested gecko or a leopard so you can handle them. Also there are many species of gecko that are sold, those 2 aren’t the only beginner species that can be held.

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
Well, my day gecko walks on my hand and that’s fine but then it wants to climb up the wall and then poops on me from 6 feet up. So yes other geckos would be better for handling I would say. For a beginner maybe go for a crested gecko or a leopard so you can handle them. Also there are many species of gecko that are sold, those 2 aren’t the only beginner species that can be held.
I think I'll go for leopard gecko.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Great choice honestly. They are fun and quite beautiful also.

Lain

Arachnopeon
I second leopard geckos! I have had my male for 16 years and he is totally my best bud! Although he prefers not to be held, he tolerates petting and enjoys (supervised) exploring around. He is my most personable and laid back herp by far, when I tap on his hide he comes out for treats and he also is very inquisitive and watches what goes on in the room. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
If you do go for a leopard gecko, do watch what type of morph that you get, I have a blizzard morph and she is exceptionally cranky and nippy. She also has a long memory, after her cage gets cleaned she will do the tail wag and get all huffy if she sees you for a few months. When she is in a good mood she will get very excited to see me since I'm the hand that feeds. If you get a standard morph you should be alright but be mindful as to not stress them enough for tail popping.

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
I'd go for L. lugubris. They are very hard to handle, but they are small, require little to no lighting, and breed like mad.
If you want a good gecko for handling, I would go for a Crested gecko. In my opinion, leopards get stressed too easily.