Macrotenus kingsleyei info?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Anyone know anything about Macrotenus kingsleyei? I bought one for $15 as a throw-in but can't find much info on care, venom, etc. All I know is they come from Cameroon.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Anyone know anything about Macrotenus kingsleyei? I bought one for $15 as a throw-in but can't find much info on care, venom, etc. All I know is they come from Cameroon.
I've seen a few keepers on youtube reference how 'hot' the spiders are, but that's likely an assumption based on them being in Ctenidae. Most genera in the family are not medically significant (or only Phoneutria are), but there doesn't seem to be much published about the venoms.

It'll be fast and possibly defensive, and they get fairly large by DLS measurements -- "treat it with respect but no need to fear it" kind of thing.

Here is a quote from a paper describing them (Steyn, T. L., Van der Donckt, J.-F. & Jocqué, R., 2003):

The species is absent from plan tations and has a preference for good or only slightly degraded habitats. An indicator analysis showed that it has a significant indicator value for good quality habitats. C. kingsleyi is negatively associated with the presence of Chromolaena and herbs. and strongly positively associated with the presence of trees of every size . but especially with the highest category. It was not absent from places with lianas and was strongly positively associated with litter volume. Most animals were found on dead leaves or bare soil, but it had a higher than ave rage preference for living branches. Most indi viduals were caught be low 10 cm in a horizontal position. No records of prey.
A habitat may include large cork bark flats arranged vertically with some branches, and lots of leaf litter.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've seen a few keepers on youtube reference how 'hot' the spiders are, but that's likely an assumption based on them being in Ctenidae. Most genera in the family are not medically significant (or only Phoneutria are), but there doesn't seem to be much published about the venoms.

It'll be fast and possibly defensive, and they get fairly large by DLS measurements -- "treat it with respect but no need to fear it" kind of thing.

Here is a quote from a paper describing them (Steyn, T. L., Van der Donckt, J.-F. & Jocqué, R., 2003):

A habitat may include large cork bark flats arranged vertically with some branches, and lots of leaf litter.
I assume they like the substrate moist?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I would imagine your’s is a sling? Keep them moist and in a small enclosure for now. Offer them arboreal room for them to molt also. The venom is not medically significant and possibly hurts just like any mundane spider species.

Adults tend to have a more terrestrial preference also in my experience, however you should offer them arboreal space and many hides also. They are also very large and kind of fast and skittish.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I would imagine your’s is a sling? Keep them moist and in a small enclosure for now. Offer them arboreal room for them to molt also. The venom is not medically significant and possibly hurts just like any mundane spider species.

Adults tend to have a more terrestrial preference also in my experience, however you should offer them arboreal space and many hides also. They are also very large and kind of fast and skittish.
Thanks for the info. The dealer told me it's large enough to take pinhead crickets, so it's a larger sling I imagine. The only reason I asked about venom is I read some anecdotal evidence that some west African Ctenidae might have dangerous venom. While I was not really worried, I like to know exactly what I'm dealing with. Good to know there's no real evidence of dangerous venom.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Thanks for the info. The dealer told me it's large enough to take pinhead crickets, so it's a larger sling I imagine. The only reason I asked about venom is I read some anecdotal evidence that some west African Ctenidae might have dangerous venom. While I was not really worried, I like to know exactly what I'm dealing with. Good to know there's no real evidence of dangerous venom.
As always, don’t let yourself get bitten - unless you’re like me and on a quest to make a bite report for every venomous species reasonably possible.

I’ve heard the rumors of species like Piloctenus being medically significant and all that. As far as I know only Phoneutria sp. are medically significant.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
IME slings tend to act arboreal. They climb a lot and will molt hanging down like huntsman do, so give them plenty of height. My adult female took very very little interest in climbing unless I spooked her and she spends most of her time under the terrestrial style hides I gave her rather than the arboreal stuff. Interestingly enough, she made her egg sack on the top of the hide and hangs upside down, so I'm a little confused about that. Keep them on moist substrate. I have a suspicion that adults can be kept drier but I haven't tried it yet and I'm not going to anytime soon because I don't want my sack to dry out. One thing to note, they are lightning quick. Some of the fastest spiders I have, right there with the Phoneutria.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
One thing to note, they are lightning quick. Some of the fastest spiders I have, right there with the Phoneutria.
I have a Phoneutria and a number of huntsman spiders so anymore I just assume any true spider is super fast and go from there.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Anyone got photos? I cant get a picture on Google for this species. :( Google is failing me. Not even a webpage with information. I originally was looking up Phoneutria and discovered this post. Now I'm curious.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
one of the first specimens gotten from Kamerun 2007
Is it just me or does it resemble the Brazilian wandering spider a little bit? Looks a bit small is weight but still pretty similar.. to me atleast. I wonder if I can attain one of these in Canada..

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Is it just me or does it resemble the Brazilian wandering spider a little bit? Looks a bit small is weight but still pretty similar.. to me atleast. I wonder if I can attain one of these in Canada..
Well, they are in the same family as Phoneutria, Ctenidae, the "wandering spiders." It's definitely reasonable that they look similar in shape and size.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
No one has them in Canada from what i can find. Whats the venom like? you are holding it, so i can be safe to assume not very potent?