1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macroctenus kingsleyi

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by akazaran, Sep 7, 2019.

1. akazaran

akazaran Arachnopeon Active Member

geneva
    Advertisement
    Does anybody has experience with Macroctenus kingsleyi?
    They are gorgeous but not much information available on these guys...

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    Keep them moist, arboreal, and offer them cork to hide in and molt from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. akazaran

geneva
    Thank you. Do you have any information regarding venom potency?

4. NYAN

CA
    Nope, but they are likely harmless.

5. Stefan2209

Stefan2209 Arachnolord Old Timer

I find it interesting, that there's very little information spread in the hobby, despite the fact that the species is quite available (at least around here) for some time.

One should think, that M. kingsleyi would be of more interest to the pet keeping community, as it's a fairly large species, yet there's much more information available about P. haematostoma, which come from the same imports but are a smaller species.
    I also rarely saw offspring for sale, usually it'd be wc adults or subadults, while P. haematostoma seems quite readily available through cb offspring.

@NYAN interesting that you metion to keep them arboreal, as Steyn et. al. mention in their paper from 2003 that they found the species generally in height < 10cm (4").

@akazaran The species is mentioned in at least two scientific papers which are available through the WSC:

Steyn, T. L., Van der Donckt, J.-F. & Jocqué, R. (2003). The Ctenidae (Araneae) of the rainforests in eastern Côte d'Ivoire. Annales, Musée Royal de l'Afrique Centrale, Sciences zoologiques290: 129-166

and

Henrard, A. & Jocqué, R. (2017a). Morphological and molecular evidence for new genera in the Afrotropical Cteninae (Araneae, Ctenidae) complex. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society180(1): 82-154

• Like Like x 1
  6. NYAN

CA
    This is interesting to actually read as being a fact. I had suspected that they were either found in both ground and arboreal or just ground habitat. The way I keep mine offers them both types of hides. I slant two bark pieces together. I guess I should’ve mentioned that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stefan2209

Stefan2209 Arachnolord Old Timer

What you experience is pretty much that the same, as i experienced when i raised some unidentified Ctenidae sp. from Kenya 10 years ago. Those were "neither fish nor flesh", so not arboreal, but also no strictly ground dwellers.
    It's interesting to compare the observations of the scientists in the field to observations than can be made in captivity. Often it's just the same, sometimes it will differ.

8. akazaran

geneva
    Thank Stefan these are great references.
    According to the 2003 article: "
    accord ing to our ex perience ofAfrican ctenids,
    either their venom had no or litt le effect, or their
    mo uthparts seemed too weak to pe netrate human
    skin." Quite encouraging!