Macro Shots of Damaged Fangs

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Species: Nhandu coloratovillosus, subadult female
Size at time of molt: ~5" dls

My N. coloratovillosus recently molted, and as I always do, I got her fangs. This time, though, I made an interesting discovery. Both fangs are clearly growing back from a break. This was the first time she molted under my care, so I can only guess as to what happened. It seems as if the fang on the top was damaged much more recently than the bottom one.

IMG_0713.JPG

Notice not only the deformation, but also how utterly dull they are. They are hardly sharper than the tip of a dull pencil. It's no wonder she had an abnormally large *crunch* when she took down prey. Well, that got me thinking - she always had trouble actually killing the prey... why is that? Well, here's why. Firstly, here's a normal venom duct, circled in red (picture of the bottom fang from above):
20160526_093842.jpg

And now here's a picture of the top fang:
20160526_093822.jpg

The top fang has a completely blocked venom duct. She was only delivering half of the venom payload that she usually would have. The photos may not be studio-quality, but certainly you all can see what I'm talking about. This is just an interesting anecdotal case study on damaged fangs and the lasting effects.

Note that even the "better" fang is still not perfect. For reference, here is the exact same magnification of an adult female T. stirmi fang. Notice how much sharper it is, even though it is magnitudes larger.
20160526_094525.jpg

Last edited:

VelvetCollar

Arachnopeon
Wow, thats one dud of a fang :anxious: if you figure out how that could happen please let us know.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Those fangs look so rubbery and organic compared to the blade like fangs you usually see.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I feel bad for the poor girl, but hopefully since she has now molted her fangs will be back to normal.
Outstanding magnifications !

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Wow, thats one dud of a fang :anxious: if you figure out how that could happen please let us know.
Unfortunately, I'll never know. I bought her from a breeder that was hanging up his hat, and his website has long been taken down.

Those fangs look so rubbery and organic compared to the blade like fangs you usually see.
They absolutely do. They're just as hard, though, at least judging by pinching them.

I feel bad for the poor girl, but hopefully since she has now molted her fangs will be back to normal.
Outstanding magnifications !
I'd imagine that the top fang still has some regeneration to do, but the bottom one should be perfect at this point. I just hope that dud fang resolved the venom duct issue.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Update... sorta:

Alright, so I bought the N. coloratovillosus from above at the same time and from the same breeder as a subadult L. parahybana. Well, after my LP molted for the first time a few days ago, I naturally nabbed the fangs... only to find this:
IMG_0783.JPG

Regenerating fangs once again.
I'm not angry or anything, but now I'm very curious. I'm going to reach out to the breeder and ask if he has any idea why two spiders of his had broken fangs. I'm really hoping to get more information, and for those that are curious, I'll be posting his response (I'm going to be keeping him anonymous, mods ;)). I'm hoping for more of an answer than "I bought them from someone else."

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That is odd to have two Ts from the same place with broke fangs. Maybe you guys can figure out what is going on and fix it.