M.robustum moisture question

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
So ive seen some info saying dry substrate,others saying keep it moist.
T is almost 3".Currently in terrestrial with a water dish.
Anyone with good advise as far as moisture levels,i would appreciate
the insite.Thanks.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This is not a terrestrial tarantula - it is fossorial. That is, it is an obligate burrower. You should have at least 6" of substrate for a spider that size - preferably 10" or more.

As for your actual question, they like it mildly humid. You don't want soggy substrate, but you don't want it dry either. They are tolerant to droughts, so that's good. However, it'll be much more active if you keep it humid. Just overflow the waterdish every few days or so.

Seriously though, give that thing some substrate.
IMG_0526.JPG

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Moist substrate, ignore the people who say dry. Sprinkle water randomly in the cage.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep mine quite moist and lots of burrowing depth. They love digging more than anything !

awiec

Arachnoprince
If you are tight on containers and can't get one that will take 6-8 inches of sub then adding cork bark will help. I have mine in a small tub with 4-5 inches but mine has a burrow under the bark. I keep mine on top soil so I just moisten half the cage and keep the water dish full.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
If you are tight on containers and can't get one that will take 6-8 inches of sub then adding cork bark will help. I have mine in a small tub with 4-5 inches but mine has a burrow under the bark. I keep mine on top soil so I just moisten half the cage and keep the water dish full.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the info.It looks to be time to shop at Wallyworld for a better enclosure.
At least for the short term,i can make it more comfortable with the info you've given
me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What substrate are you using? I use the cheap bagged top soil from Home Depot, no additives. Great stuff for spiders to dig in.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
What substrate are you using? I use the cheap bagged top soil from Home Depot, no additives. Great stuff for spiders to dig in.
Well,im using the eco earth coconut substrate.I looked at Home Depot,and had a question on top soil.
Almost all had fertilizer as poultery byproducts,i.e. "chicken poop".
Any harm in using this.Even the organic had some type of fertiler in it.
thanks.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Coco fiber, or sort of "coco" related substrate works perfectly, don't worry. Lots of inches of moist substrate (not wet), a cork bark for hide, water dish, done. Btw my baby eat like an horse, always hungry :-s

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well,im using the eco earth coconut substrate.I looked at Home Depot,and had a question on top soil.
thanks.

Right, the fancy stuff. I only get the cheap, Timberline brand, nothing added. $1.50 for a 40 lb bag. I'm sure the top soil brands will vary by region, as they'll ship dirt just so far.

awiec

Arachnoprince
thanks.
The "safe" stuff will be super cheap, I got a bag of the Earthgrow brand topsoil for $1.50 and the ingredients are just peat, native topsoil, forest product, ash and sand; the stuff is literally marketed as something to fill holes in your yard with.

You can also mix up peat, sphagnum moss and cocofiber to create something more sturdy but topsoil is much cheaper and holds up better. Though as long as you have something for the spider to hide under (could even spruce up the cage with some sphagnum moss) and the appropriate moisture conditions are met, it should be fine.