1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M. balfouri

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Scorpendra, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Scorpendra

Scorpendra Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    i've been doing some research on this species, and i read that they were supposed to have become commercially available in fall 2006 or early 2007. but, alas, no balfouris in sight except in the genus thread. could someone feed a hungry mind and tell me what happened and/or if there's a new date that we should be waiting for?

2. I know Metallica owns one or more, he posted a thread a few months ago on the Dutch forum. Maybe you could pm him.

3. Hedorah99

Hedorah99 Arachnoprince Old Timer

Last I heard some slings came into the country but the price and rarity pretty much sent them straight to breeders. As far as I know, even in Europe these guys have a hefty price tag, I cannot imagine what it would be here. I am eagerly awaiting some news about these bad boys myself.

4. Pyst

Pyst Arachnoknight Old Timer

Hedorah99 that's the same info I was given on them. We just have to wait until those slings mature and hopefully produce viable sacs. M.balfouri is another species I'm anxiously awaiting.

Here's an image used with T.Raab's permission.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  5. Scorpendra

same here, Pyst. i know that there's an amount in Europe, but i'm more interested in the US. getting one imported from Europe, that's the price, conversion from dollars to euros, shipping fees, and the paperwork so that the transaction's legal!

http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/pages/history.htm

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  6. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    yeah only a very small amount of these were imported by frank last year and i dont wanna say how much they were but expensive trust me hehe.im sure if they come more available in europe they will be imported in higher numbers.also
    hopefully the few that are here and the ones that made it to canada will be bred so in a couple years time mabey we will have some from these people

7. Scorpendra

yeah, that's what i'm hoping for :D

8. Pyst

After discussing this spider in chat last night makes me want a couple even worse. It's going to be a long couple of years.

9. Hedorah99

Yea, they are gonna be the next P. metallica. I think they even look more stunning. And people are jonsing for them. I have seen ads where people are offering money for adult females. I won't say how much, but grossly underestimating what the price of a sling would be, let alone an adult female.

Hopefully we see these and some Encyocratella olivacea in the next 5-7 years.

10. syndicate

USA
    :drool: so nice!the mature males must look quite impressive in person to

11. Pyst

I'm almost willing to bet we will see the E.olivacea sooner than we will the M.balfouri.

12. spider_fan

spider_fan Arachnosquire Old Timer

Is M. balfouri only that color in perfect lighting, in every other photo of them I've seen they're a drab brown color. Actually before seeing the pic I thought people only wanted them because they were rare.

13. Hedorah99

Like all T's, it is probably a combination of lighting and how recently molted it is, and to a lesser extent sex and maturity.

14. metallica

metallica Arachnoking Old Timer

hi even my spiderlings/ juvs are of better color than in any picture. just like metallica getting this color on photo is allmost impossible.

15. Pyst

16. T.Raab

T.Raab Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hi,

it depends how big they are. ;)

Spiderlings and Juveniles are not blue at all. Here you can see a picture of a spiderling:
    [​IMG]

17. Sunar

Sunar Arachnoknight

I'd REALLY love an E. olivacea or three but M. balfouri isn't far behind them on my list. That said...i'm so poor I won't be able to afford one even when they do become available...for many years to come. :D

Nice pictures, Timo. :)

~Fred

18. PhilR

PhilR Arachnoknight

I've seen some juveniles, and I know people who have them here in the UK, but I would suggest that it's likely to be a while before they become widely available, even in Europe :)

19. GoTerps

GoTerps Arachnoking Old Timer

There's 3 people (including myself) in the U.S. raising M. balfouri that I know of.

Mine are growing well, but I haven't sexed them yet.

I'm getting 6 E. olivacea in a couple weeks, and my friend will be raising 5... so we'll have a nice group of them. The one I raised to a mature male died without getting any :(

Eric

20. syndicate

USA
    nice one.good news man :D