1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M.Balfouri

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by FitzzSimmons, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:37 PM.

1. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Advertisement
    @dangerforceidle @Zepmaster
    Here is an update guys:
    The Balfouri is absoluteley beautiful and i had no problems with her, she calmly walked out of her tissue and into the enclosure and walked straight to her starter burrow as if she knew it had been there already XD she has already started webbing and has dug quite a good hole already and its only been a few hours since i've had her.
    HOWEVER, the L.Nigerrimum.... wow wow wow as you can see from the photo below she was an absolute devil right from the start...
    Every time i would attempt to gently nudge her out of the tissue and into her enclosure - BAM! Threat pose and strikes at the straw, and this was happening quite a few times so i just left her in the tissue in the enclosure and closed the lid. I came back a few hours later and she was stretched out on the back of the long piece of corkbark in the enclosure - which was a wonderful sight, but the moment i removed the tissue she started threat posing again XD
    I have never had any super aggresive T's the only thing close is my GBB kicking hairs when i bother her too much, but this was on a whole other level. How can so much evil come from a 4cm Tarantula XD.
    I hope she was only that aggressive becuase of the journey in her pill jar, hopefully she calms down just a little ;p

20180810_111804.jpg

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    Asian tarantulas are mean buggers and have potent venom. mine are also really shy and i hardly ever see them :(

Damn i just read the ruling on poecilotheria species I'm going to need to go shopping . . .

3. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Why what happened?

4. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
  5. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    @Zepmaster Well i mean this only effects people in america right? So everyone in europe is fine right?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM
  6. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

I wouldn't count on her calming down. As @Zepmaster noted, Asian species are up there for volatility and feistiness. At least it didn't go for a run.

7. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    I'm in america :blackeye::depressed:

8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

None of this is surprising. Expect this behavior for the life of the tarantula.

There are often a far more unpredictable species too. They are a can of “crazy”.

Good luck, your T will need it based on your most feisty T being a GBB ;)

9. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Yeah im really scared now, i mean she i was evil and she is still so young and small, i'm gonna be scared when she gets bigger!

10. viper69

This is why serious keepers recommend the ladder system if one gets into OW. You have skipped a lot of steps, but it may work for you. I hope it does because if it doesn’t it’s not good for the T.

Also you should know this species is documented in the scientific literature for putting grown men in th hospital when bitten.

This is a serious species with serious consequences.

It’s also a beautiful species too, just like a cobra.

11. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    uh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh XD i mean i have 6 other T's and none of which i believe are old worlds...
    I might have made a bit of a mistake with this one but i have reallyyyy long tweezers so i shouldnt get bitten right ?

I mean it does look really good so i guess its appearance makes up for it's horrible attitude.
    Also why is it not good for the T? Am i doing something wrong ?

12. viper69

Not good for T because people get rid of them, or hurt/kill them by accident when they get scared.

You don’t know if you have OWs??????

As for long tweezers, that means NOTHING

13. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Nah i could never do that, i cant handle it (which im sure i can, i would trade it to someone who wants it for another T, but as i said that woudlnt happen).
    I do know that i dont have OW other than this one XD
    And yeah ive seen videos of them jumping - but i think im fine XD

14. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

This one and the M. balfouri... right?

15. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Oh that's what i meant. When i say 6 i mean the 6 other T's i've had before the two i just got XD my bad didn't make that clear. The weird thing is the M.Balfouri is so kind - i fed it a mealworm today and it didn't just grab it and devour it, it just walked up to it and gently picked it up and carried it to it's newly dug hole XD