1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M.Balfouri

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by FitzzSimmons, Aug 8, 2018.

1. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Advertisement
    Hi guys,
    I recently bought an M.Balfouri from Thespidershop, but the problem is i kinda "impulse" bought it but only because i've been wanting one for ages and it was the last one they had in stock. Now i know a decent amount on M.Balfouri's but i feel like i should know a lot more e.g enclosure size etc etc.
    They said the sling will be 3cm which from experience i know is not too small and not too big for a sling.
    If anyone could help that would be great (and this could be good for other people looking for help with M.Balfouri)

Thank You

2. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

These guys are pretty easy to keep. Like most baboons, keep them dry with a good amount of substrate depth, a hide, and plenty of anchor points to web with. If you give them a hide and no anchor points, they will usually create a shallow burrow with multiple entrances, and lay thick sheets of webbing everywhere. If you give them lots of anchor points, they may forgo the burrow and build a web castle.
    • dry substrate (if sling is very small, a slightly damp area can be provided, but probably not necessary)
    • enough substrate depth to burrow and provide a hide (buried cork bark with a starter burrow)
    • optional fake plants or sticks for them to web to
    • water dish (which will be webbed, IME)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    So since it small, should i cut a small piece of corkbark off and dig it into the substrate and make a starter whole for him?

4. dangerforceidle

This is how I set mine up:

[​IMG]

This was an I. mira, but the setup was identical. Partially buried cork bark with a starter burrow. A 32 oz deli cup, which is pretty large for a sling this size, you can go smaller.

This is what one of my M. balfouri has done with the place, lacking anchor points:

[​IMG]

You can see 3 or 4 burrow entrances, and the cork bark is now fully buried under excavated substrate and silk, as is the water dish. I now just drop water into the webbing where the dish is and sometimes drip a few drops into a side burrow entrance.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    WOw that looks super cool. i shall try and replicate that if i can thanks for the help!

6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Is that like Kinda Pregnant?

It's a relatively easy species to raise for an OW, they will threat pose w/out issue however. A deli cup for young slings works well, always give a water dish too. They will burrow and web a fair amount. They don't eat too much, and they DO NOT pack on mass like certain OW and NW Ts can do. Their abdomens stay rather slender compared to other species.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    What do you mean XD ?

8. dangerforceidle

Yeah, they tend to get "long in the butt" instead of round.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Either you did make an impulse buy or you didn't, either one is pregnant or you aren't, there's no kinda about it ;)

10. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    OHHHHH you mean that kind of pregnant XD i literally had to google the second meaning of pregnant.

After seeing all these pictures i'm EVEN MORE excited for my M.Balfouri to come!

@viper69 @dangerforceidle
    Also guys im getting a L.nigerrium along with the M.balfouri, you guys got any tips for that as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
  11. dangerforceidle

Lampropelma require much more moisture in the substrate. Have a tall container that allows for plenty of substrate to burrow into, but also allows you to place nearly vertical lengths of cork bark. They are arboreal, but will burrow around the bottom of the cork bark.

[​IMG]
    There is a starter burrow around the back side of the cork bark, and space between the cork and the lid for her to move over the top.

[​IMG]

• deep, damp sub
    • lots of vertical (or near vertical) cork bark for her to climb and hunt from
    • water dish
    These are great eaters and very fast growers in comparison to M. balfouri. In addition, they have much more attitude, and are fast in all directions. Quite a bit a step up in terms of overall care and difficulty to manage compared to an M. balfouri. Yet, they are beautiful spiders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
  13. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    @dangerforceidle I hvae another question - since this is my first burrowing species how would i tell if he has molted? I dont want to put food for him without giving him time to harden up.

14. dangerforceidle

This is what you get if you provide anchor points for webbing:

[​IMG]

Often times they won't take prey if they're not ready. Sometimes they're good about tossing their old exuvia out, but sometimes they use it as a buttress inside the burrow.

Make note of every feeding. If you have an Android phone, there is a tarantula app that allows you to record. I use a spreadsheet that I have in Google Docs. Offer food semi-regularly and note when you removed it if it wasn't accepted. You'll get a feel for the spider's appetite and after a couple moults you'll get an idea of how frequently they moult. None of this is set in stone, some spiders will fast at times, sometimes they can have erratic moulting schedules. Just use your data and try to read the signs that are available.

15. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
  16. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    looks perfect to me. I setup my sling enclosures pretty much identical to what you have there. with heavy webbers i will add a couple of twigs for additional anchor points just so they build nice impressive web castles. but this will work just fine

17. dangerforceidle

That looks good! Just make sure you let the substrate dry out, it shouldn't be very damp at all with this species.

18. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Yeah it comes in a day so i just pre-made the enclosure, the sub is actually rather dry and only slightly wet because i gave it a little spray.
    Well now that i have your confirmation that i've down everything right all that is left is for the T to be delivered.
    I shall post a picture of the little guy and put it in this thread as well so you guys can come along on the journey XD

19. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Good suggestion, i'll try and find some twigs outside to use ;p

20. Zepmaster

Zepmaster Arachnopeon

Utah
    just be sure the twigs don't have any sharp points that could injure your tarantula