M. balfouri sac

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay here is my situation. I have a M. balfouri I sac that has gone 50 days and the babies have yet to emerge. So my question is should I disturb the female and open up the sac? Should I disturb the female and shine a light in an effort to see the babies? Or should I just leave it alone still at 50 days? If I choose to not open the egg sac or shine the light on it after what point (how many days) should I choose to go all in and look anyways?

azroc909

Arachnosquire
I say disturb the female and pull the sac and incubate them, you dont want the risk of loosing any of them if still alive for any reason. But thats my opinion. Nothing will happen to the female but the longer they stay without emerging the risks get higher... humidity, dehydration, fungus, etc...

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Points made

Good points but this species cares for it's young. So incubating them really isn't a viable option...

awiec

Arachnoprince
Good points but this species cares for it's young. So incubating them really isn't a viable option...
Why isn't it? Get some nylon, a container, water and a well ventilated top and presto that's how CB spiders have been brought to the hobby for the past 20-30 years. I'm sure when M.bafouri was still being first bred in the hobby people incubated the eggs just like any other species. I'm thinking that if they haven't emerge yet the they are probably dead, the only way you can know for sure is if you get the sack and open it up to see if there are any survivors.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why isn't it? Get some nylon, a container, water and a well ventilated top and presto that's how CB spiders have been brought to the hobby for the past 20-30 years. I'm sure when M.bafouri was still being first bred in the hobby people incubated the eggs just like any other species. I'm thinking that if they haven't emerge yet the they are probably dead, the only way you can know for sure is if you get the sack and open it up to see if there are any survivors.
If you read the breeding reports on this and other forums and talk to those who have successfully bred this species, the most successful sacs were those that were left with the female. Mother raised sacs have been consistently and significantly more successful than artificially incubated ones.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It isn't the same because the mother needs to feed the young. Breeders did take the sacs to start and ended up killing the babies because they took them from the mother. Apparently M balfouri is very maternal. So this is the reason why my questions are so complicated. Also just to add I am fully aware of how to incubate a sac. I am just unsure of how to proceed due to the circumstances of time elasped and the care needs of the young from the mother.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
The mother does not need to feed the young. Where did you get that idea?

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 10:52 PM ----------

If you read the breeding reports on this and other forums and talk to those who have successfully bred this species, the most successful sacs were those that were left with the female. Mother raised sacs have been consistently and significantly more successful than artificially incubated ones.
More successful and necessary are two completely different concepts, though.

awiec

Arachnoprince
It isn't the same because the mother needs to feed the young. Breeders did take the sacs to start and ended up killing the babies because they took them from the mother. Apparently M balfouri is very maternal. So this is the reason why my questions are so complicated. Also just to add I am fully aware of how to incubate a sac. I am just unsure of how to proceed due to the circumstances of time elasped and the care needs of the young from the mother.
Where are you getting this? The mother is not regurgitating food for them, they just take bites from her kill. You can just as easily give them cricket parts to keep them happy. Slings do not need any care from the mother once they get to the EWL stage that you can't give them, the most vital part the mother plays is laying the eggs and caring for the sack until they hit that stage. These are spiders, not kittens, they don't need their mother once they have their first molt.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have bred M.balfour several times and I have done both,let the female raise the young and fed her and them at the same time I just put in two pre killed roaches one for her and one for them. They hang or hammock the sac so I would shine a light in to see what's up if you need to pull the sac do so , the babies will incubate just fine IMO. I have had to pull two sacs now and didn't have any problems incubating .The last sac had 47 babies and they are all about an inch plus now with no losses. Hope that helps.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Where are you getting this? The mother is not regurgitating food for them, they just take bites from her kill. You can just as easily give them cricket parts to keep them happy. Slings do not need any care from the mother once they get to the EWL stage that you can't give them, the most vital part the mother plays is laying the eggs and caring for the sack until they hit that stage. These are spiders, not kittens, they don't need their mother once they have their first molt.
Actually she does.......go read the reports and look at the photos.

OP: Some people in the past have pulled and found 1i's, they gave them back to mother. I would guess at 50 days if they haven't emerged, the sac is a bust.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to give an update on the status of the sac. I decided to go ahead and pull this morning. Upon opening the sac I happily found a bunch of the baby 1st instars. Following opening the sac I had 0 bad eggs. I then proceeded to put all the babies inside with the mother. I will then go to the store and get some crickets and put one in so she can feed them. Wish me luck as this should be an interesting experiment we shall see how this works out.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Transfer back to mom looks successful

A couple hours after successfully transferring the babies into moms enclosure she has now Webbed off the entrance that I had previously damaged. Appears as though all the babies are inside the burrow with her now. Only time will tell but it looks like the transfer back to mom was successful.

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I want three lol..... * makes mental note to inquire about slings in 4 - 6 weeks * lol

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok here is another update. I fed momma last night. Hopefully she took the prey I put in there and fed the babies. I only see a couple of babies now that stray outside of the burrow. All the others must be inside with the Female. So far everything looks good!