M. Balfouri questions

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i would too if i paid $70 but at his prices why not, i'd buy em by the tons ;)
My recommendation was not based on the price, but the increased chances for something to go wrong, most likely during a rehouse.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
2:1 should be fine. Note that this species tends to like undersized prey items compared to most other species.
True! Mine are almost 2" now but are still afraid of slightly larger prey compared to my GBB or OBT that wrestles their prey.
Hmm, I'll be getting one for about $7. Price for 3 pcs and up goes down to about $6 each.
Whoa! Can you PM me the seller? lol
I got mine for 10$ each, 1"+ sized M balfouri slings.

I started them communally but rehoused them individually because it resulted to overfeeding to prevent cannibalism. And also to better monitor the molt dates and they're growth.

boina

Lady of the mites
A bigger bottle cap will suffice then? How about enclosure? 6x6x6 enough for the three slings? Too big? Too small?
This is pretty big for slings - I wouldn't do it. M. balfouri are not the most voracious eaters to begin with and in a large enclosure like that the food has too much room to get away from them, making it difficult to keep everyone fed, especially in a communal. I'd start with an enclosure half that size and do one more rehousing. Be careful during rehousing, though - you need to keep you eye on 3 very fast tarantulas. Always do it in another, larger tub or something similar.

Frazam

Arachnosquire
This is pretty big for slings - I wouldn't do it. M. balfouri are not the most voracious eaters to begin with and in a large enclosure like that the food has too much room to get away from them, making it difficult to keep everyone fed, especially in a communal. I'd start with an enclosure half that size and do one more rehousing. Be careful during rehousing, though - you need to keep you eye on 3 very fast tarantulas. Always do it in another, larger tub or something similar.
I see. Thanks. I'll start them off in a large deli cup then transfer to the 6x6x6 when they get larger. I've been watching rehousing vids and when I do rehouse, I plan on doing it in a large 65 liter bin.

Last edited:

Frazam

Arachnosquire
Ok, so in 12 hours I'll be getting my balfouris. However, instead of 3, looks like I'll end up with 5

They're all about 1" and have been living communally since birth. Ill continue to keep them together. I'm setting up my 6x6x6 enclosure for them, intending to transfer them to a 12x12x12 eventually (enough for a community of 5?).

As of now their enclosure has 3" of bone dry Coco peat. Nothing else. What else should I put in? Plastic plants? Rocks? Or leave it bare?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Ok, so in 12 hours I'll be getting my balfouris. However, instead of 3, looks like I'll end up with 5

They're all about 1" and have been living communally since birth. Ill continue to keep them together. I'm setting up my 6x6x6 enclosure for them, intending to transfer them to a 12x12x12 eventually (enough for a community of 5?).

As of now their enclosure has 3" of bone dry Coco peat. Nothing else. What else should I put in? Plastic plants? Rocks? Or leave it bare?
Warer dish and anchor points for webbing if you want them to web.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer

I'd provide them with something larger to reduce the need to rehouse them all, possible 8x8x8 and then to 12x12x12 and then to 24x24x12 once they're adults.

Frazam

Arachnosquire
Got it. Will add plastic plants and/or driftwood to act as anchor points. As for the enclosure, unfortunately I only have the 6x6x6 for now. I'll have a larger one made soon and will rehouse them once it's ready. As per Tom Moran, they will thrive in a larger enclosure so I plan to set them up in their final enclosure soon. Thanks for the replies!

Frazam

Arachnosquire
I got the balfs, and I don't think they're 1". Maybe 1.5"? Some have a little blue already and their carapace has some color as well. Didn't know they start showing their colors so early.

Anyway, they're set up in tne 6x6x6 enclosure I had. I initially put them in a 3 gallon kritter keeper (7x4x12 are the dimensions I think) but one of the balfs fit through the small hole of its lid. I thought about taping it, but decided it's not worth the risk so I transferred them to the 6x6x6. They fit for now with room to spare, but will have a larger enclosure made soon. 24x24x12 ok? Isn't it too big? Or will a 10 gallon equivalent tank suffice?