1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M.balfouri produce multiple sacs?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by AbraxasComplex, Dec 20, 2011.

1. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    2 weeks ago I removed a sac that had been suspended in my female Monocentropus balfouri tank. It was unopened and had 2 nymphs and 7-8 viable eggs-with-legs. After I removed them within days the nymphs died (within 3 hours of one another) and the rest went bad. Needless to say I was quite choked... until now.

[​IMG]

That is one of several I saw in the burrow. I speculate that these are from another sac I did not see hidden in the burrow and judging by the size of the slings was laid within a week or so of the one I removed. Once again the one I removed was not opened and was still packed quite tightly with no visible tares.

It has been noted that M.balfouri produce smaller sacs, yet do not take great care of them. They are not protective like some other African species. In captivity, few breeders pair them up with the males for long or with more than one mate. I left 2 males in with her for months.

Perhaps M.balfouri do not protect their sacs so vigorously because they produce more than one in one mating cycle if they have copulated enough to produce higher amounts of eggs. The hammock sac allows them to produce multiple chances for young to survive without expending energy cradling a singular sac. Any other theories?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1hughjazzspider

1hughjazzspider Arachnoknight

She could've just double clutched. But considering how difficult this species has been to breed successfully on this side of the world I think all theories need to at least be looked at.

3. Comatose

Comatose Arachnobaron Old Timer

Have you removed the slings and looked for the remains of the potential second sac? It looks like they're ready to be separated anyway. Regardless, you've executed a pretty impressive feat... congrats on the slings!

4. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

It could also be it's a response to favorable conditions; Your place was plenty warm/humid enough, and I saw no shortage of food wandering their enclosure. This, coupled with how their hanging sacs aren't really labour extensive, could make laying multiple sacs at a time a good strategy.
    How many eggs total in that first sac you pulled? Are you going to extract those nymphs or let 'em be?
    When can I come over and buy some? :p

Congrats on the unexpected sac!

5. HorrorPhD

HorrorPhD Arachnosquire

The young female that I have double clutched this year - unfortunately both sacs were duds. However, what was interesting was that she constructed the 2nd sac only about 1 1/2 - 2 months after the first (I'd have to check my notes, which I don't have in front of me atm). I was hoping the sacs would work out, as she did tend to them both. She constructed one at the deep end of her burrow and the 2nd was made closer to the burrow's entrance, so they were also rather close in proximity. The 2 sacs were all I saw thusfar in her molt cycle...and I'm anxiously waiting on her to molt again so I can get her re-paired.

Congrats on your nymphs!! :)

Jen

6. Ceratogyrus

Ceratogyrus Arachnobaron Old Timer

There is a person here in South Africa that has had great success with these this year. Think he is sitting with 200+ slings hatched out this year of balfouri.
    Here is a link to his thread from another site: http://www.tarantulas.co.za/forum/tarantula-general/31023-monocentropus-balfouri-communal . (Hope the mods don't mind me linking it here, but has some great info)
    I managed to hatch out a sac with 12 slings (The female missed her egg hammock and dropped about 30 eggs on the substrate while laying), and the best way is just to leave the slings with the mother for the first few instar's. The same person who had such great success this year pulled all his balfouri sacs in 2010 and lost 250+ nymphs or eggs. Seems for best results, you leave the babies with mommy and she gives them some special attention (Possibly feeding them with prey that she has caught?)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BCscorp

BCscorp Arachnoprince Old Timer

Hey! Wow man, wish we would have looked closer at that tank when I was there...lol.
    Sweeet! Imo it seems double sac would explain this. The one you pulled was the second sac, maybe making it less viable?
    Anyways, Im stoked!

8. ftorres

ftorres Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hello All,
    I agree with Jen,
    two of our girls double clucth, unfortunately we got the first slings out too soon and we lost them all (close to70 of them more or less) the other egg sacs were found by accident and the very few survivors did not make it.