M balfouri or C fimbriatus??

Tripepii123

Arachnopeon
Good day co keepers!!! After a thorough research I've finally decided to buy my 1st old world next week. Two of the available ts here are M balfouri and C fimbriatus(both are 2 cm) which do you recommend? I want to have the slower one and perhaps the less defensive but numerous threads on the internet shows inconsisteny so i am relyinh on your answers. Thanks!!!

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Numerous threads show inconsistency because there is inconsistency amongst individual specimens. Though balfouri tends to be more chill usually, mine is not but most people's are. C.fimbriatus generally speaking tends to be far more defensive.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well my first old world was p regalis later turned out to be striata.
I’d go with the baboon, but both are fast u need a slightly bigger container probably to make up for speed.
I’d say p Miranda is easier then either of two you want . Baboon I’ve never owned I can’t say, ive had obt. For me ow are no problem it’s new world More defensive, and more threat posture. Except obt

Last edited:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My adult female fimbriatus and my sling have both been extremely skittish, and will bolt into their burrows at the slightest disturbance. Well, they're skittish until it's time to rehouse at least, then my female just became extremely stubborn and refused to move at all.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My adult female fimbriatus and my sling have both been extremely skittish, and will bolt into their burrows at the slightest disturbance. Well, they're skittish until it's time to rehouse at least, then my female just became extremely stubborn and refused to move at all.
I noticed same thing in every old world I had except a few p Miranda, they always run. As adults most old worlds stand there ground. I’ve only owned a small percentage of old worlds tho.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Both species are fast. But where the balfouri is more likely to be skittish than defensive, the fimbriatus will happily go into defensive mode readily.

As for which T to pick - we can't really decide that. Venom-wise the fimbriatus has the more potent venom I believe, but it all comes down to what you trust yourself with getting along without an accident? Your confidence and common sense are the key factors here. And which one you want more.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I don’t know if either is a good first old world we so pick what you want , and be cautious. My first obt escaped , had none escape since . Bedrooms have too many hiding spots for slings.
I wish ida picked something slower, but almost all are lightning fast cuz no unrticating hairs.
Escapes happen tho and I’m lucky only two ended badly, in a long span of time.
I mostly have gotten old worlds in the last few purchases before I ran out of money. Since hairs bother me badly.

Psalmous irmina behave similar to Ow no hairs. Do you have one of these?
There one of my favorites so far.

Tripepii123

Arachnopeon
Neither are slow, no OW is. But balfouri is the one here you want.
Thanks for the reply iguess i will take the m balf

Well my first old world was p regalis later turned out to be striata.
I’d go with the baboon, but both are fast u need a slightly bigger container probably to make up for speed.
I’d say p Miranda is easier then either of two you want . Baboon I’ve never owned I can’t say, ive had obt. For me ow are no problem it’s new world More defensive, and more threat posture. Except obt
haha pokies are very rare in our region except for p metallica

I don’t know if either is a good first old world we so pick what you want , and be cautious. My first obt escaped , had none escape since . Bedrooms have too many hiding spots for slings.
I wish ida picked something slower, but almost all are lightning fast cuz no unrticating hairs.
Escapes happen tho and I’m lucky only two ended badly, in a long span of time.
I mostly have gotten old worlds in the last few purchases before I ran out of money. Since hairs bother me badly.

Psalmous irmina behave similar to Ow no hairs. Do you have one of these?
There one of my favorites so far.
I bought an irminia sling but i had to sell it months after because it turned out that it was a male

Thanks for the feedback everyone i learned a lot. I think i will go with the m balf haha☺☺

Last edited by a moderator:

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe I underestimate mine, but my m. balfouri is a little baby and rarely comes fully out of its burrow. I know you are looking at what you have available locally there, but if you don’t mind dealing with shipping I’d suggest trying to find an augacephalus species as your first baboon/OW. Of the 13 Ts I own, m. balfouri is my least favorite.

What other Ts do you own and why are you interested in crossing over to OW?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In all honesty, people somewhat worried about keeping an OW should probably look into the Heterothele spp. - dwarf baboons that are just cute as hell.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get both? I have both, and wouldn't be able to choose lol. I don't notice much of a difference in behavior with mine, except the fimbriatus webs a bit more heavily, and is more willing to take on larger prey...that's just my experience though.

Tripepii123

Arachnopeon
I
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get both? I have both, and wouldn't be able to choose lol. I don't notice much of a difference in behavior with mine, except the fimbriatus webs a bit more heavily, and is more willing to take on larger prey...that's just my experience though.
haha thats a great idea but i would like to see if I can manage an old world first and to observe their behaviour. Is the P. irminia on par with the c fimbriatus or the balf? (In terms of speed)

Maybe I underestimate mine, but my m. balfouri is a little baby and rarely comes fully out of its burrow. I know you are looking at what you have available locally there, but if you don’t mind dealing with shipping I’d suggest trying to find an augacephalus species as your first baboon/OW. Of the 13 Ts I own, m. balfouri is my least favorite.

Could you explain why you hate balfs? And what do you suggest for a good starter for an old world?thanks sir

I currently have a N. tripepii, GBB, G pulchripes, a L striatipes, G rosea and a B hamorii.

In all honesty, people somewhat worried about keeping an OW should probably look into the Heterothele spp. - dwarf baboons that are just cute as hell.
Too bad there are no breeders of that genus in our country. But i definitely want to have some of those

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I
haha thats a great idea but i would like to see if I can manage an old world first and to observe their behaviour. Is the P. irminia on par with the c fimbriatus or the balf? (In terms of speed)
I have yet to keep a P. irminia, but from everything I've read over the years, I would think it's about the same speed wise. That's just an inference/guess though...

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could you explain why you hate balfs? And what do you suggest for a good starter for an old world?thanks sir

I currently have a N. tripepii, GBB, G pulchripes, a L striatipes, G rosea and a B hamorii.
I don’t hate the m. balfouri, it’s just my least favorite of the Ts I own. It’s basically a pet hole with no feeding response and I have to feed it smaller prey than I would any of my other species at the same size because it’s scared of everything. They are also slower growing than any of my other OW Ts.

If you can find an augacephalus species they are awesome as a first OW T. Not overly defensive, not shy or skittish, great appetite, and look awesome. I have an a. breyeri and ezendami and they are great for a beginner or experienced keeper.

Are you sure you need an OW to get whatever’s you’re after? What about a. geniculata which is just as interesting of a NW species?

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As long as you stay level-headed and use common sense - you'll be fine with a Psalm! Granted my Phaedra was one calm girl when I started with her as a sub-adult 3" and my little smithi. Never ran into trouble, not even while rehousing. But since then I've kept pulcher, langenbucheri, cambridgei and still have a couple irminia girls. Sadly never got the chance for an emeraldus though...one day perhaps.

When I started I too was very reluctant, careful not to dive too deep before acquiring more experience. Looking back now? I probably would've been fine with a Poecie like Chad suggested back then. But eh...up to the individual keeper. If you have doubts about yourself - postpone a purchase of the species to a later point of time.

Taranturalph

Arachnopeon
I owned m. balf last june, from almost an inch and now c. fimbriatus, i suggest you have both. Balf is skittish and chill just remember to not invade its space for it will retreat more than defend. Yes, balf is picky on food. For fim, still learning its behaviour.

Last edited: