M. Balfouri Communal Enclosure Size

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
Just a little curious. For single tarantulas I give them an enclosure with 2-3 times their leg span in walking or climbing space depending on the species. How much space should you give an M. Balfouri sling communal? When should they get moved into a larger enclosure? This is something I need to know before I order my slings (even though it will be a while before I have the money for them).

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I currently have five balfouri in a five gallon tank with deep substrate. They spend almost all their time at one end of the tank. Most of the time they're in their burrows, but when they come out, they practically sit right on top of each other - by choice. I am planning on upgrading them to something a bit bigger pretty soon, but I'm not in too big of a hurry. (They're probably somewhere around 2.5-3 inch DLS, maybe a smidge bigger.)

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Keep it small enough that they can’t establish separate territories. They should stay in the same burrow system. This is the opposite of most other species that are sometimes kept communally.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Keep it small enough that they can’t establish separate territories. They should stay in the same burrow system. This is the opposite of most other species that are sometimes kept communally.
Yeah, in that sense they are "truer" communal (social communal) than fex the N. incei since these don't usually share burrows, hunt, eat and rear slings together. From what I have heard, Balfouri's does these things.