M Balfour ..concerned for him

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
Ok..so my juvinile..baulfori has not melted in over a year..its still small..and its abdomen is a bit smaller than thorax I never see it eat..it lost all its hairs..I know it's still juvinile just out of sling stage but it had its hair..its been hiding for months now...any info regarding m Balfour care would be awesome...I have 5 ts..been keeping for about 4 years..thank you

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Can you please provide a picture?? M. balfouri are OW T.'s and they shouldn't have uricating hairs or bald spots. You're M. balfouri is very questionable so please provide a picture.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Ok..so my juvinile..baulfori has not melted in over a year..its still small..and its abdomen is a bit smaller than thorax I never see it eat..it lost all its hairs..I know it's still juvinile just out of sling stage but it had its hair..its been hiding for months now...any info regarding m Balfour care would be awesome...I have 5 ts..been keeping for about 4 years..thank you
If you are melting Tarantulas then your heat is wayyyyyy to high. LOL.

On a side note, Do you have a picture of the enclosure?

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
I'm fully aware they are old world..that is reason for my concern..it is no mistake an m balfouri

Lol..yeah ok..forgive my haste and lack of spell check...it is for sure an m balfouri..here is pic in its burrough

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm fully aware they are old world..that is reason for my concern..it is no mistake an m balfouri

Lol..yeah ok..forgive my haste and lack of spell check...it is for sure an m balfouri..here is pic in its burrough
This is a Mature male M. balfouri. He's gonna be looking desperately for a girl and will barely eat and drink. Mature male tarantulas are restless and are always searching for a female mate since mature males dies sometime soon after maturity (usually a year). Better send of to breeder to put good use to him.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
It was a half inch sling when I got it..only had it for 2 years it's barely 3 inches..no way is it mature...no disrespect

It was a half inch sling when I got it..only had it for 2 years it's barely 3 inches..no way is it mature...no disrespect
ALTHOUGH I WILL ADMIT I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS SPECIES OTHER THAT THIs t..forgive my harshness I just dont want Lucifer to die...

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Well, OW Ts mature faster than most of their NW counterparts. I promise you, that M. balfouri can and DO mature at that size.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
Well, OW Ts mature faster than most of their NW counterparts. I promise you, that M. balfouri can and DO mature at that size.
Sorry to sound like an A hole..I admit this is my first old world t..I only had him 2 years..seems like he would live at least 5..just sucks... I take good care of my ts..and want them to live a long time

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Sorry to sound like an A hole..I admit this is my first old world t..I only had him 2 years..seems like he would live at least 5..just sucks... I take good care of my ts..and want them to live a long time
He won't kick off for awhile yet. ;) OWs typically live a year give or take a few months after maturing. You could still have him for another 15 months if you don't loan him or sell him for breeding.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
ALTHOUGH I WILL ADMIT I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS SPECIES OTHER THAT THIs t..forgive my harshness I just dont want Lucifer to die...
M. balfouri can mature between 3.75''+ sizes. I've seen some longer leggier MM M. balfouri and some smaller MM M. balfouri as well. It's very easy to idenitify a MM M. balfouri just by looking at it. A complete colored darken blue carapace and complete strong blue colored legs. There's no way any T. owner cannot know what a Mature male M. balfouri looks like. I'm surprised you didn't know what a MM M. balfouri looked like. :rolleyes:

Better send him out for breeding.

mephisto13

Arachnosquire
M. balfouri can mature between 3.75''+ sizes. I've seen some longer leggier MM M. balfouri and some smaller MM M. balfouri as well. It's very easy to idenitify a MM M. balfouri just by looking at it. A complete colored darken blue carapace and complete strong blue colored legs. There's no way any T. owner cannot know what a Mature male M. balfouri looks like. I'm surprised you didn't know what a MM M. balfouri looked like. :rolleyes:

Better send him out for breeding.
Well it only melted 3 times in my care and this is my first old world..I didn't know he would mature and die in in 3 years

Well it only melted 3 times in my care and this is my first old world..I didn't know he would mature and die in in 3 years
Molted..lol

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
The dead giveaway for mature males of this species is a blue carapace, only mature males will have this. Mature males of any species can mature at very small sizes even if they don't always.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

Molted..lol
If I were you, offer him up for a breeding loan, it helps the hobby in the US for lower prices on Tarantulas when we have more breeding going on. Plus you can request a portion of the slings in return then you have luck getting a female.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Two years is pretty good for a lot of species, especially the faster growing OW ones. I've had some of my males mature between nine months and a year. If you can find someone with a female, do a breeding loan for 50% of the offspring. You'll be pretty much guaranteed to get a longer living female.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think my first balfouri sling to mature did it in about a year of my care (maybe a tad longer)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this is my first old world..I didn't know he would mature and die in in 3 years
Actually researching the species you have could have solved this issue for you :rolleyes:

If he is already over a year past his maturing molt, all you can do is ensure he always has access to water. Try to feed him, but many MMs don't eat. If he is still making sperm webs, you could loan him out.