1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lychas enclosures

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Dave Jay, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I thought I'd show a few variations on Lychas enclosures. Lychas are small foraging scorpions that can be kept communally , although as with most, gravid females can be aggressive.
    The third picture is a 10"x10"x10" cube. It has a false bottom, a wet area with polished stones and sphagnum (this is the only place where water is applied to the surface, the rest of the surface is dry ), and curved bark stacked one piece inside the other and on top of each other to allow for many variations in humidity so the scorpions can choose for themselves. The first picture is a 5"x5"x10" tank , again with a false bottom and a wet corner, but in this case flat bark is stacked upright against the back wall to provide variations in humidity. The second picture is a small enclosure I set up very simply, sphagnum moss kept slightly damp with bark stacked against the back.
    lychas3.JPG lychas4.JPG lychas1.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Nicely done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

Thanks! I've been keeping lychas for about 4 years, and these are the setups that I've found work the best for my 'style' of scorpion keeping, which is basically 'lazy' style lol. You can use the dry substrate with a water bowl method but then if you let the water dry up so will the scorpions. You can use the tub method but if it's too humid they might develop mycosis. With the false bottom I don't have to worry about moisture levels as they will choose their own humidity by moving around the tank, if it gets too dry they will dig down into the substrate and get underneath the bottom pieces of bark. The polished stones attract condensation from the air, so there's always droplets of water available. The only maintenance is to add water to the false bottom every month or two if I notice that the bottom layer of peat is lighter in colour. I use false bottom systems for most of my animals including the lizards and frogs, digging down for moisture is a natural instinct many animals share.

4. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

PA
    Very nice set ups !

• Like Like x 1