LuiziBee's Picture Thread

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, my Haplopelma lividum, Lydia, was attacked and eaten alive by Phorid flies (larvae). I'm pretty bummed about it. It's been a good few years. RIP :(
Ouch, I am sorry to hear that.

Any idea how that happened? I am just starting in this hobby (got my first T's yesterday) and would like to know how that happened so I can try to prevent that from happening.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Sorry to see the loss of your H. lividum.
Hope you have the flies under control? and the rest of your collection is safe.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ouch, I am sorry to hear that.

Any idea how that happened? I am just starting in this hobby (got my first T's yesterday) and would like to know how that happened so I can try to prevent that from happening.
Not entirely sure how I ended up with them. I have one friend who lives near me who had this happen to his mature female Paraphysa scofra. Perhaps they came in with my feeders? Not entirely sure.

---------- Post added 11-13-2015 at 08:04 PM ----------

Sorry to see the loss of your H. lividum.
Hope you have the flies under control? and the rest of your collection is safe.
Yes. I've only seen a couple since I discovered her like that. I'm drying all my enclosures out and keeping an eye on all my T's. Everything seems fine so far.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
There is a possibility your T was dead before the flies showed up. Seems they eat decaying rotting items
and can infest a home via a backed up sewer system and or lots of food matter stuck inside the drain system.
They are also not easy to get rid of due to there prolific life cycle. there are non toxic ways to get rid of them UV bug traps is one.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is a possibility your T was dead before the flies showed up. Seems they eat decaying rotting items
and can infest a home via a backed up sewer system and or lots of food matter stuck inside the drain system.
They are also not easy to get rid of due to there prolific life cycle. there are non toxic ways to get rid of them UV bug traps is one.
My biggest thing about that is she would have produced an oder. I had an MF A. seemanni pass away a year ago who stunk up my entire room after a day or two. The Haplopelma wasn't small and would have done the same. Especially since the eggs would need time to hatch, etc. I've also read where this has happened before, so it's not completely out of question. But the lack of smell really is what bothers me.

---------- Post added 11-13-2015 at 08:40 PM ----------

Also, do a quick search in here for phorid flies. You will see several cases where this exact thing has happened.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Female P. irminia :)

Female M. balfouri. Though, not sure which one as there are two in that enclosure. lol

H. sp Colombia Large

Mystical C. elegans

Chilobrachys sp. black Satan

I FINALLY shipped off my C. sanderi. He's been paired once already, unfortunately, he was so small he couldn't reach. HOPEFULLY the next attempt is successful. I'll try to attach the video later. :)

C. marshalli

N. chromatus

N. coloratovillosus molted

Ornithoctonus aureotibialis getting bigger by the day. :)

Pampho sp platyomma

Homoeomma sp. blue

Thrixopelma ockerti

Grammostola porteri

Phormictopus sp purple

MM Brachypelma vagans

Avic avic

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Good luck with the C. Sanderi pairing! Hope he is VERY successful and that you receive a ton of slings!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Nice pics, love the T. ockerti and P. irminia :)
What do you use to take the close up shots of the spermatheca?

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully I have just attached the video of the Ceratogyrus sanderi pairing. His comments cracked me up. Poor litte fellow.

---------- Post added 11-17-2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

Also, I'd really like to share my funny video of my large MF Brachypelma vagans stealing my paintbrush. I was laughing so hard during the last bit, I started crying. Please excuse that. Hahaha

[YOUTUBE]ofxyIkVXBYM[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 11-17-2015 at 05:33 PM ----------

Here's a couple more pictures I forgot about. Took em before shipping little dude off. Size comparison photos of MM Ceratogyrus sanderi.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I so know how much of a chore it is to get some straw or whatever back from a T. My genic girls is famous for that - hence I always throw feeder in first before removing the waterdish, else she'd just pull the tongs out of my hand getting all annoyed :D

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I so know how much of a chore it is to get some straw or whatever back from a T. My genic girls is famous for that - hence I always throw feeder in first before removing the waterdish, else she'd just pull the tongs out of my hand getting all annoyed :D
Wish I had caught the beginning where she did snatch the paintbrush. Haha but nooo! Not even kidding, I gave her two mealworms. She has them both during all of this. I'm trying to feed her up because it's way over two years since she last molted and my male vagans just matured. Her appetite and feeding response is still huuuge! Haha

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wish I had caught the beginning where she did snatch the paintbrush. Haha but nooo! Not even kidding, I gave her two mealworms. She has them both during all of this. I'm trying to feed her up because it's way over two years since she last molted and my male vagans just matured. Her appetite and feeding response is still huuuge! Haha
Oh my girl doesn't care once she grabs the feeders. Unless I touch her then - she'll drop the feeders immediately and come after me lol :D

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pics, love the T. ockerti and P. irminia :)
What do you use to take the close up shots of the spermatheca?
Sorry I forgot to respond! But this is what I'm using. I can't remember it's exact name. However, it's pretty neat because you can attach it and view from your computer. Unfortunately, my lap top is in pawn and I had to put my phone up to the lense Hahaha

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Phormictopus sp purple

Grammostola porteri

MM Brachypelma vagans

MF Brachypelma vagans

P. platyomma

P. paradoxa

Brachypelma emilia

Nhandu chromatus

LuiziBee