luck of the draw..or not

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Just wondering how many have gotten 2 or more slings,in the hope of
getting a least one female....and ended up with three dudes.
Or beat the house odds and got three girls?

I once upon a time,got three juvi M.mesomelas and of coarse they all
were boys.Go figure...:arghh:.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Plenty of times, I have a sneak suspicion that both of my antinous are male and at least 2/3 of my mascara are male (hopefully I’m wrong/at least one is a female). However, I’ve only gotten one manabi and magna and they both turned female so it’s just luck

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I have fantastic luck with getting female tarantulas, but my luck with mantids is completely the opposite. I think I’ve gotten about 25% female of the dozens I’ve bought.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I have fantastic luck with getting female tarantulas, but my luck with mantids is completely the opposite. I think I’ve gotten about 25% female of the dozens I’ve bought.
You should buy tarantulas for me then :smug:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Plenty of times, I have a sneak suspicion that both of my antinous are male and at least 2/3 of my mascara are male (hopefully I’m wrong/at least one is a female). However, I’ve only gotten one manabi and magna and they both turned female so it’s just luck
If your luck turns out bad on the mascara, you know who to pm about a female ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Out of 5 P. chordatus slings, I got four females and one male.

Out of 5 N. incei slings, I got five males.

My partner got 4 B. vagans as the start to his part of the collection, and the sex of the last one was recently confirmed... he has three females and one male.

I have a few dozen P. murinus slings from a sac I produced... I am curious to see what ratio I end up with there. And also with the P. chordatus slings I kept from three different sacs (produced by the above mentioned Ts!).

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've had fairly good luck with just getting one and it turning out to be female, I don't seem to have much luck with buying multiples of a species atm.

I got 2 C. elegans slings which both escaped.
2 C. leetzi slings, one had a bad moult and died.
3 A. variegata slings, I noticed 2 had bad moults, 1 only lost a leg but the other is a mess and might not make it.

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm usually pretty lucky in getting females.

3 G. pulchra slings = all female, 4 C. meridionalis ended 1.3, T. sanctivincenti: 1.2 and so on. When I bought 3 I nearly never got 3 males... except I think my P. rufilata may be all males and I may need to buy a female... but that's one time of bad luck in at least a dozen times I bought 3 spiders. Even my O. schioedtei, which are thought to produce more males, turned out to be 2.1.

And when I bought two of a more expensive species I had incredible luck and nearly always got 1.1 (M. mesomelas, P. sp. insignis, Neostenotarsus sp., H. cafreriana, Plesiopelma sp.). Only the H. pulchripes were both male, so I needed to buy a sexed female.

I actually had less luck buying sexed 'females' - those turned out to be males 30% (!!!) of the time...

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
So far, all my pokie slings have turned out male, however I'm looking forward to the eventual breeding loans :)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If your luck turns out bad on the mascara, you know who to pm about a female ;)
Too broke to buy sexed tarantulas unfortunately, but if you hang on to it and want to do a breeding loan I’m your guy ;)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My luck always come from the Brachypelma genus for females, and it's always coincidence. I bought one B. albo and one B. vagans on a whim because they were cheap and I had a little more to spare on change. And "BAM" both females. Repticon comes by, and a seller sold a unsexed B. emilia. I had little change, but I said, "Why not". Then "BAM" a female. But my worst luck of all comes from the Poecilotheria genus. Bought 3 P. regalis, all male, bought 2 P. tigrinawesseli, both male. Gotten a P. rufilata free, turned out male. I currently have one striata, but i'm certain it's also a male. But that's how the pokie genus is with males, the hobby is flooded with them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had great luck when I buy females heheh

I rarely buy multiples, waste of space for me.