LP Spiderlings taking long time to Moult

Spiderlass

Arachnopeon
2x Lasidora Parahybana spiderlings.
Received on 15/02 and neither have moulted (never found any moults and they look same(ish) size). They are both very active and have decent sized abdomens. With very slight dark patches - however not enough (imo) to be premoult yet.

Both are great eaters. Fed every 3-5 days. Either fully sized waxys or chopped in half locusts. (I buy locusts for my other Tarantulas and dislike fruit flies etc). They will usually take down the waxy or scavenge the locust within 24hrs.

Both are kept in the "pill bottles" they were shipped in with coco fibre half way and havee created small side burrows which they sometimes use. No sign of webbing in either.
Watered with dropper on side of tubs every 4-5 days. Temps in Room are between 64-68 f (whole room heated with no heat matts or direct heating).

I am unsure if just being an overly worried keeper, I have a Grammastola Pulchra juvie who I've had from a sling and it moulted much faster - and based on my research LP's would be much faster growing.

Any advise or husbandry mistakes I may be making would appreciated. As would "just be patient" and leave them be :)

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How large are the spiderlings? Sounds like they're eating well so really nothing more you can do... you might post a picture of the enclosures if you have concerns on that front, but sounds generally fine as long as you have ventilation. They will molt soon enough! In my experience Lasiodora do not grow as quickly as some people say.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What size are they exactly? "Spiderling" is a relative term. ;)

I'd say that 64-68 F is at the lower end for a small sling. Personally, I'd try to keep them a bit warmer (low to mid 70s) and they should moult soon(-ish). ;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How large are the spiderlings? Sounds like they're eating well so really nothing more you can do... you might post a picture of the enclosures if you have concerns on that front, but sounds generally fine as long as you have ventilation. They will molt soon enough! In my experience Lasiodora do not grow as quickly as some people say.
My Lp slings grew like weeds, juveniles as well

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
temps will effect slings growth, increase them to 70s.

I keep mine around 73-75F

ASIDE FROM THAT not much you can do. just sit and wait. should happen soon.

cold blood

Staff member
. Temps in Room are between 64-68 f (whole room heated with no heat matts or direct he
For a sling, i would consider those temps to be barely survivable.

I agree, get temps to at least 70.

You cant expect anything to occur quickly when you keep a cold blooded creature too cool.