LP Sling

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Today after getting a T on craigslist, I stopped by one of my favorite LPSs. They were selling l parahybana for $11 a sling. Seeing the little guy/gal really made me happy after my depressing craigslist incident.
I've even picked out a name for the little fellow, who is munching on a cut up small cricket. :alien:
Let me know what you guys have experienced with these fellows. I've done my homework, but want some anecdotal tales of their individual, maybe quirky, spiders.

GG80

Arachnoknight
They're a great hardy little spider that you should not have any issues taking care of if you get the basics right.

As for personality, it's just too hard to say what you can expect but I'll give you my experience with mine.....

I have him almost a year and a half, I think he was 0.5" DLS when I got him. Generally easy going, got a few threat postures, strikes and hair kicks. Now he's just over 3.5" DLS and hassn't done any of those things for months but he has become very skitish.

All in all though I have enjoyed keeping him so far. Great feeding response and the growth rate is facinating.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the growing aspect. I'm thinking of putting his/her's deli cup in a kritter keeper and getting a tiny heat pad to try to raise the temps. It's getting chilly in michigan :(
But these are things I like to hear; fast growth and great eating response. AND threat postures? I thought LPs were a little more on the placid side lmao.

GG80

Arachnoknight
AND threat postures? I thought LPs were a little more on the placid side lmao.
That's why I said it is impossible to predict an individual's personality :). However, I only got the threat postures and strikes when he was less than 2" DLS and it was only a few times. It wasn't a regular occurrence and it hasn't happened since he's gained some size.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
That's why I said it is impossible to predict an individual's personality :). However, I only got the threat postures and strikes when he was less than 2" DLS and it was only a few times. It wasn't a regular occurrence and it hasn't happened since he's gained some size.
Yeah little slings have attitude ime. Probably because of their vulnerability.
Right now my little half incher is a burrowing fiend

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

hutch924

Arachnopeon
I have had my LP for almost a year now. She was my very first T. She has been nothing short of fascinating. I have no issues with her eating or being skitish. She is always out on display except when my kids are running through the house. Then she hides in her den. When I got her she was 1.5 inches and now she is about 6 inches after 2 molts.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Mine has a terrific feeding response and is skittish and will kick hairs. But usually the hair kicking doesn't happen unless she is pushed too far. She threw her first threat display ever just the other night, but only because I was in there with my tongs getting her water container out and had to be persistent after she dived at the lid as I was trying to remove it.

Growth rate is pretty speedy. Below are two pictures, The first taken October 14, 2014, a few days past a month after I got her, the second taken on October 16, 2015, putting a year and two days between the first and second shot. That's the vial she arrived in, containing her first few moults. (Which she also dived on as I set it up for the shot. (Like I said, she has a great feeding response. :D ) I can't recall her size when I got her, but it was no more than an inch. In the second photo, she is about 4.13 inches DLS, after 5 moults between the first and second picture.
Like GG80 says, real hardy and easy to take care of. I'm sure you will get a lot of pleasure from keeping her. Upsides: fast growth, won't hesitate to eat, easy care, and remain visible most of the time. Downsides: may kick hairs, can be a bit skittish and the possibility of having an "attack first ask questions later" feeding response-I won't put my fingers near mine for that reason. Currently my second favourite spider out of the small group of five that I own.

Attachments

tspivey16

Arachnopeon
I have had my sling a couple months and was about an inch when I got it. I never see it, as it burrowed to the bottom of the container so I am not sure how to tell when the molts will happen.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Congrats, Elliot, you've gotten one of the true giants of the hobby. :)

Mine was already near maturity when I got her a couple of years ago, and she has molted twice since then, her last one a few months ago at 8.25 inches.

As Tim said, great feeding response & out most of the time (fascinating watching a T that big lumber around), but they can be skittish ('grouchy' is how I would term mine). I've been slapped more than once by those big front legs of hers when I've gotten too close.

You'll have a lot of years watching it grow into a very impressive T.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have had my sling a couple months and was about an inch when I got it. I never see it, as it burrowed to the bottom of the container so I am not sure how to tell when the molts will happen.
If yours is anything like mine was, that won't the usual thing. Mine burrowed down one time to moult when it was small, all others moults since have been topside.

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
Awesome pick up, the size of these when full grown is what drew me to them. I have two 1" slings right now. One of them has made a very long burrow but, luckily, all along the wall of the container so I can see into it easily. Pretty amazing what he did in just one night. The other one hasn't done anything other than make a little ditch on one side under the hide I gave him. The burrower stays pretty much in his burrow unless he comes out to snag a cricket or to chill out on the moistened portion of sub for a little bit once in a while. The other one stays out quite a bit already, pretty neat. Both of them eat like they are starving despite feeding every other day but that's par for the course for this species.