LP Sling care

Liam52

Arachnopeon
I picked up a .5 inch L. Parahybana sling over the weekend at (yes I know but I felt bad for it) a pet store. They were just keeping it out in the open on the counter and in very poor condition. They said they’d had it for a week or so and hadn’t fed it cause they didn’t know what to feed something that small, as if they couldn’t google it or something, and gave it to me for $10 just to get it off their hands. So I have it taking cricket drumsticks, and it’s in a small container. I’ve never taken on a sling yet, and I just want to try to do everything as best I can. The space I keep my T’s in is typically around 68°F to 75°F, and I’ve seen that slings typically do better in warner temps than that, but I’m unsure. Any advice would be great. I’ve done research on the forums and through other resources (I’ve been following Tom’s Big Spiders sling guide), and I just want to do everything I can to help the little sling grow big and strong. I think it’ll be a great experience watching it grow from a tiny sling to a big T!

Liam52

Arachnopeon
I picked up a .5 inch L. Parahybana sling over the weekend at (yes I know but I felt bad for it) a pet store. They were just keeping it out in the open on the counter and in very poor condition. They said they’d had it for a week or so and hadn’t fed it cause they didn’t know what to feed something that small, as if they couldn’t google it or something, and gave it to me for $10 just to get it off their hands. So I have it taking cricket drumsticks, and it’s in a small container. I’ve never taken on a sling yet, and I just want to try to do everything as best I can. The space I keep my T’s in is typically around 68°F to 75°F, and I’ve seen that slings typically do better in warner temps than that, but I’m unsure. Any advice would be great. I’ve done research on the forums and through other resources (I’ve been following Tom’s Big Spiders sling guide), and I just want to do everything I can to help the little sling grow big and strong. I think it’ll be a great experience watching it grow from a tiny sling to a big T!

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Cricket legs made decent food source for really small slings in my experience. You can also prekill a mealworm or cricket and they will scavenge for food

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
These guys are a piece of cake to raise from slings. My girl was a bit more skittish than how I've heard others describe theirs, but she was still incredibly simple. This species is very food motivated and puts on size fast.

You can just feed it cricket drumsticks or chopped up pieces of mealworm/superworm until it's large enough to take on live prey. The temperature range you have is totally fine. Just leave it in the container it's in, let the substrate dry a bit (it looks quite wet, but that could just be the type of substrate used), and then just wet down about half the substrate and repeat as it dries each time.

I started out with a 1/2 inch sling, and this was her after about a year. Her first molt in my care is in that white cap, for reference.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
All that has been said before and get that piece of sponge out. It'll only serve as a breeding ground for bacteria. If you don't have a water dish small enough I'd put a bit of moist sphagnum moss in there for drinking purposes.

Liam52

Arachnopeon
These guys are a piece of cake to raise from slings. My girl was a bit more skittish than how I've heard others describe theirs, but she was still incredibly simple. This species is very food motivated and puts on size fast.

You can just feed it cricket drumsticks or chopped up pieces of mealworm/superworm until it's large enough to take on live prey. The temperature range you have is totally fine. Just leave it in the container it's in, let the substrate dry a bit (it looks quite wet, but that could just be the type of substrate used), and then just wet down about half the substrate and repeat as it dries each time.

I started out with a 1/2 inch sling, and this was her after about a year. Her first molt in my care is in that white cap, for reference.
About how long does it take for em to put on some good size?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
About how long does it take for em to put on some good size?
I guess it depends on what you mean by good sized. She was 3.5 inches in that picture, and that was in just over a year. I thought that was pretty impressive. Now I've had her for about 2.5 years, she's 4.5 inches, and in premolt.