LP Husbandry and Care

DesertDweller256

Arachnopeon
Hi all. Sorry for making a new thread on something that’s probably been asked a million times before. Just did in case info has changed over the years.

I just got an LP sling. I’m not sure about instars but it seems to have molted at least once or twice compared to the other slings I saw (got it from a store). Here’s a picture of how I’m keeping it.

Is the water dish too much, should I take it out? This is the deli cup it was being kept in, should I move it into something slightly larger? The substrate is Zilla’s jungle mix, so a mixture of coco fiber and peat moss. Is that fine or should I change it?

Edit: how often can I feed it at this stage? I tried feeding it earlier but it didn’t want to so I’m leaving it alone for a while. May have just molted or is getting ready to.

Attachments

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have to say, for a newer keeper that’s one of the better sling setups I’ve seen posted. Everything you asked about is fine as far as what you’re currently using, e.g., substrate, etc.. That water dish is on the large side for that container, but keep using it. I say this because LP’s, especially slings, need and will gravitate toward the moisture. Generally I would suggest making sure a good portion of the substrate was damp (not soaked), but with a water dish like that it will suffice as the primary source of moisture. I would merely on occasion (every ten days or two weeks) overflow the dish just slightly, so there is also a less moist portion of the sub also. Additionally, from the look of that specimen it won’t be in that cup much longer, as those little guys put on some decent size early in life.

One more thing, sometimes folks around here may chide a bit about FAQ, referring folks to the search function (which is what one ought do initially). However, if you’re not comfortable in any given situation with your spider(s), ask. That’s what AB is here for, and someone will generally always be willing to help. Keep up the good work.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
1. I guess it is fine for now, but they will need an upgrade next moult... they will be significantly larger each moult. Be prepared. I have always rehoused my Lasiodora species into bigger enclosures than other species, or else they would need rehousing each moult. Yes, you could rehouse it now and that is what I would likely do, but you can also wait until after their next moult.
2. The water dish is a bit big, but it won't be in there for very long. I would also be dampening the substrate.
3. I feed one prey item twice a week for that sized spiderling. They will eat pre-killed, so you can feed meal worm chunks no problem.

DesertDweller256

Arachnopeon
I have to say, for a newer keeper that’s one of the better sling setups I’ve seen posted. Everything you asked about is fine as far as what you’re currently using, e.g., substrate, etc.. That water dish is on the large side for that container, but keep using it. I say this because LP’s, especially slings, need and will gravitate toward the moisture. Generally I would suggest making sure a good portion of the substrate was damp (not soaked), but with a water dish like that it will suffice as the primary source of moisture. I would merely on occasion (every ten days or two weeks) overflow the dish just slightly, so there is also a less moist portion of the sub also. Additionally, from the look of that specimen it won’t be in that cup much longer, as those little guys put on some decent size early in life.

One more thing, sometimes folks around here may chide a bit about FAQ, referring folks to the search function (which is what one ought do initially). However, if you’re not comfortable in any given situation with your spider(s), ask. That’s what AB is here for, and someone will generally always be willing to help. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad I’m doing it right for the most part. It makes me feel good, and I was a little nervous about caring for my first sling. I may transfer it to a different container soon since I have read these grow pretty fast. :)

1. I guess it is fine for now, but they will need an upgrade next moult... they will be significantly larger each moult. Be prepared. I have always rehoused my Lasiodora species into bigger enclosures than other species, or else they would need rehousing each moult. Yes, you could rehouse it now and that is what I would likely do, but you can also wait until after their next moult.
2. The water dish is a bit big, but it won't be in there for very long. I would also be dampening the substrate.
3. I feed one prey item twice a week for that sized spiderling. They will eat pre-killed, so you can feed meal worm chunks no problem.
Thank you! I was also on the fence about rehousing, and I’ll make sure to do that soon. Pre-killed works for me since tiny crickets are a pain. Excited to see this one grow!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thank you! I was also on the fence about rehousing, and I’ll make sure to do that soon. Pre-killed works for me since tiny crickets are a pain. Excited to see this one grow!
It won't be long, this is such an incredibly fast growing species. Not only do they moult frequently, they gain a significant amount of size each moult.