LP Abdomen Question

4wrdUn2Dwn

Arachnopeon
I noticed, what kinda looks like dust, on my LP’s abdomen a few weeks ago. Not really sure what it is or if I should be concerned about it, but pictures below to get some opinions on. I keep her enclosure pretty dry no misting just an open water dish and the substrate is just cocofiber. When I first got her I did mist every so often and she didn’t like that too much so I’ve kept it dry ever since.Also I am never able to get the boluses out of her enclosure because she never brings them out of her hide. From what I can see in her hide she has a little corner in which she piles them up and I’m not too keen on bothering her hide everytime she eats to clean up after her. She is my first and I’ve had her for almost a year now, so I’m still pretty new to caring for Ts just want to make sure she is alright.

C0C5C7DC-A7A2-4A4E-B594-10F46BB6F493.jpeg FFAD7139-BC76-4125-9ABD-BDA1ADF5A28C.jpeg

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Abdomen looks fine, what your seeing is just loosened setae.

Lasiodora should be kept with some moisture btw, you can overflow that water dish every now and again. Avoid misting, its ineffective as it only moistens the surface of the sub...it can also stir up hairs.

4wrdUn2Dwn

Arachnopeon
Abdomen looks fine, what your seeing is just loosened setae.

Lasiodora should be kept with some moisture btw, you can overflow that water dish every now and again. Avoid misting, its ineffective as it only moistens the surface of the sub...it can also stir up hairs.
Alright, I didn’t think it was anything to worry about but just wanted to put the question out there from some more experienced keepers. She seems to be fine with it drier but I will start to overflow her water dish every so often. Thanks for the advise!

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
As said above, nothing to worry about. One thing I want to advice is make sure the overflowing water you will pour over the dish touches the bottom layer of the substrate. Moisture will last longer that way. Also, avoid the bolus when you water; it will mold stink a bit.

LP’s are great! One of my first tarantulas when I started :)

Last edited:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
From what I learned,iIf you can't reach a bolus (because it's in her hide), leave them be. No need to start ripping up the place to get them. But if you spot them and can get to them, clean em up.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
From what I learned,iIf you can't reach a bolus (because it's in her hide), leave them be. No need to start ripping up the place to get them. But if you spot them and can get to them, clean em up.
I agree, but sometimes its gets out of hand and does warrant a clean up...if theres a mountain of boli down the hide then I would definitely do something about it.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Also known as "spider dandruff." :troll:

Drats. Beaten to the punchline again. I was thinking about putting a spin on it by stating that what the spider actually is classified as is Lasiodandruff parahybana, but decided that was a bit of a reach.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Back at your hairy spider, I never had much of a hair kicker, not even my big LP baby boy. Then the b**** boehmei from hell and the maladjusted geniculata boy came into my life. I was certain they had some dreadful fungus. Simultaneously, my asthma started kicking up for the first time in over 2 years.

Wow, I'm such a genius. Connection? Nopety-nope. Sheer coincidence.

Now, this wasn't years ago; this was about 2 months ago. I took pictures to load up on this site, I was so determined I had some loathsome disease these Craigslist mongrels had brought into my beloved collection! Land o' Goshen, what drama. Here's a couple of photos from back when my camera was still sort of working. Look familiar? Hair kickers: sheesh.

20180223_215313.jpg 20180223_214726.jpg

Attachments

Sana

Arachnoprince
But hairkickers are so adorable. Don’t you just want to love them and cuddle them and squeeze them?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Definitely try to remove those boluses, don't want a molt outbreak. And like the other person said LP like moist sub, so overflowing the water dish a little once a week would be good.