Lowland & Highland

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Hello, Both of these are P. subfusca and are a little more then a inch big. One is suppose to be highland (top pic) and the other lowland (bottom pic). So I'm wondering how long or at what size will I be able to identify them as lowland/highland. Also does anybody have pics of both their highland & lowland around this size.

Attachments

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Well, the bottom specimen seems to be a bit darker all around...but I'm lacking facts so I'm not much help. Beauriful though!, these are on my to get list.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Yea they do look identical so I'm guessing they both are highland or both are lowland. I guess thats what I get from buying them from seperate dealers with everyone having different opinions of whats highland and whats lowland. :wall:

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man this is a loaded post. There are folks out there, me included, that don't believe there is a "highland" and "lowland" species. More like different color forms. If you're saying the two slings you pictured are different species it would be hard to confirm it by looking at them wouldn't it?

There is an individual on the BTS Forum who knows more about tarantulas than I'll probably ever know who has said he has seen both color forms come from a single egg sac. That can't happen if they are indeed two different species. I think.;)

Did you get these two from different sellers? Or the same seller saying one was highland and one was lowland? I would be really interested in seeing what these two grow up to look like. Best of luck with them.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. subfusca Highland and Lowland

I have one 5" inch female Highland and one 4.75" female Lowland I will post pictures up for you tomorrow. I also beleive that it's just color morph, there is a difference on color but that's about it until proven otherwise. Not unless someone has that proof already that I missed, cause I have not seen it.

Jose Berrios
801 809 6128
hombrearania1@hotmail.com

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Man this is a loaded post. There are folks out there, me included, that don't believe there is a "highland" and "lowland" species. More like different color forms. If you're saying the two slings you pictured are different species it would be hard to confirm it by looking at them wouldn't it?

There is an individual on the BTS Forum who knows more about tarantulas than I'll probably ever know who has said he has seen both color forms come from a single egg sac. That can't happen if they are indeed two different species. I think.;)

Did you get these two from different sellers? Or the same seller saying one was highland and one was lowland? I would be really interested in seeing what these two grow up to look like. Best of luck with them.
I cant agree more..I have seen many pics of both the more dark and the brighter version of subfusca, and there dont seem to be any agreement on wich is wich...I have several of them, and when i sell, i sell them as subfusca.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They look a lil different in color.. One has yellow marks on its leg while the other does not.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Thomas
I cant agree more..I have seen many pics of both the more dark and the brighter version of subfusca, and there dont seem to be any agreement on wich is wich...I have several of them, and when i sell, i sell them as subfusca.
For argument sake, say there are two species, you buy in some P.spec 'lowland' and decide you can tell the difference from others of any form, so you sell as subfusca. Anther guy buys it, looks on the web at some pics/ gets info from his buddies who know, and decides its spec 'highland'. Finds another spec highland and breeds. Then sells some lovely offspring that are actually spec highland x spec lowland. Which, look a bit like both, or not.. some think theyre highland, some think lowland etc. Fun and games.

So, why not buy in something, and sell it with the same name. Unless of course a definitive study answers the question... which i promise it will soon.

@OP.
The bottom one has slightly more light marks on the distal end of femur1. Maybe nothing of note. But. Isnt it the UNDERSIDE of the legs where people look for differences among poekie species?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
A friend of mine here in Switzerland, who keeps a lot of Pokies, claims that there are 3 forms, Highland, Lowland and Bara. I gotta ask him for a detailed explanation.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Highland and Lowland pictures

Here are the pictures. The lowland form is the picture above and the highland form is of the picture below. To me it's just color morph this is my opinion. If you google The world Spider Catalog 9.5 you'll find on there that the name has not been change it is still called P. subfusca.:?

Jose Berrios
801 809 6128

Last edited:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
A friend of mine here in Switzerland, who keeps a lot of Pokies, claims that there are 3 forms, Highland, Lowland and Bara. I gotta ask him for a detailed explanation.
If I'm not mistaken, bara is the "Scientific" name that some people tried to stick to lowlands(e.g. Poecilotheria bara).
I don't think it has officially been classified by a legit taxonomist though, and it's most likely a marketing gimmick.
I still think it's just different colorations of the same species.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken, bara is the "Scientific" name that some people tried to stick to lowlands(e.g. Poecilotheria bara).
I don't think it has officially been classified by a legit taxonomist though, and it's most likely a marketing gimmick.
I still think it's just different colorations of the same species.
I agree it's just like P. metallica you got the blue form and you got the dark form. The dark form does have blue tint color but it's still consider the same species but that's a whole different topic.:confused: I hope the pictures helps out to alot of you!

Jose Berrios