Loving Ts, some questions for a new one.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Ok so I got my first T, a GBB, and I absolutely love it. I thought originally I would probably not want a second for awhile, but I already do! I really would like a terrestrial species. I am looking at the Brazilian giant white knee tarantula, if anyone has other suggestions please list them so I may research them! Preferably a beginner style species, and if people could list cheap set ups I could buy for them, I'd like to start young and then buy a more expensive enclosure only for their adult age.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Common names can be confusing, there are several large NW species that carry that same moniker.

I assume you mean either A.geniculata

N.colorativollosus

Or N.chromatus

They can all be kept pretty much the same way, the nhandus tend to be more skittish and feisty.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
A quick search for Begginer Ts will offer a long list of mostly bew world terrestrials like those in the Brachypelma or Grammostola genera plus many more han i can list off the top of my head.

For inexpensive enclosures, condiment cups, deli cups, and sterlite bins

Is there anything more specific that you are looking for? Colors, Adult size, growth rate? It's going to end up a LONG list if you don't give a few more parameters. ;)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Some great YouTube vids on beginner Ts. Start there and narrow it down....

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
A. Genoculata was it. But essentially I want an easy T to care for that isnt expensive and readily available

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Ok some parameters, something that does well in room temperature, has an ease of care, and availability. I dont mind color since I already have a gbb, Id like one that grows at any rate that isnt super slow, I want one thats gonna be a big eater.. uhm and I'd prefer if they were a docile species but thats ok to skip

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
And I'm going to look at all these homing enclosures now. Most are available at walmart I'd imagine

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Genics are great. But Thrixopelma pruriens is decently common, very easy care and mine eats a ton. So ill toss that in the rec pile.
20180604_224935.jpg
Here's my lil sling, they also turn a really pretty dark green at larger sizes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A geniculata sounds perfect then. Fast growth, easy to keep, great eaters.

Cage would depend on what size you're buying. Slings are readily available. Sexed females are too, probably.

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
Some people may disagree, but my first T was a C. versicolor. Very easy to care for and mine is doing beautifully.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
might I recommend a B. albopilosum, they are good eaters, very common, inexpensive, very easy to keep.

If you are willing to splurge and if you can find one, I must recommend a B. schroederi, from observing mine, I can say that they are excellent eaters, better than Pamphobeteus Sp. in my opinion.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
might I recommend a B. albopilosum, they are good eaters, very common, inexpensive, very easy to keep.

If you are willing to splurge and if you can find one, I must recommend a B. schroederi, from observing mine, I can say that they are excellent eaters, better than Pamphobeteus Sp. in my opinion.
There is a better eater than a Pampho?!?

cold blood

Staff member
There is a better eater than a Pampho?!?
Yeah, I would have to see that to believe it, too.

Once I fed a Pamph, then realized it had just molted...that Pamph crawled back into its old molt to grab one more meal before I could retrieve that roach:p....greedy ts they are.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Wow so many suggestions.. I'm now between the A. Geniculata or the Thrixopelma pruriens

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Common names can be confusing
I'd understand if the OP said "Red Rump" as that name is slapped on a heinous number of tarantulas from different genera from Brachys (multiple spp.) to Grammos (iheringi/actaeon) to Thrixies (cyaneolum/ockerti).

I assume you mean either

A. geniculata
N. coloratovillosus
N. chromatus
If someone says "Brazilian Giant White Knee" then the only spider that comes to my mind is A. geniculata (N. coloratovillosus is "Brazilian Black & White" and N. chromatus is "Red & White Striped Birdeater", at least here anyway).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm just gonna leave this here:

And this:

I think it's the third time this week I post this :astonished:

And for enclosures:

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
A. geniculata was my third T. Love her! Can’t go wrong with that one IMO.

lvc

Arachnopeon
A.geniculata is awesome! Mine is just a 1,5" sling and she's already developing the healthy A.geniculata temperament you can read about almost anywhere.
She eats like a pig, mistakes everything for food (especially fresh water) and the only time I've seen her use her hide was during premolt.
Wouldn't really say she's docile though, but care is simple and I'm having a ton of fun keeping her so far :)

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
For the A. Geniculta do I hve to spray a lot?? People seem to say they like humid environments