Loud music

Garficro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do spider mind loud music??? I always listen to loud music and stuff, so is that bothering them?? :confused: :confused:

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Garficro said:
Do spider mind loud music??? I always listen to loud music and stuff, so is that bothering them?? :confused: :confused:
T's feeling vibration from music so loud musick is not good.
They cant hear music, but the feels vibration all time.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agree on vibration. I keep my slings and nervous hair flickers in my comp room. (speakers off) I did keep my versicolor in my room. He was sweet and docile. Only nervous when he was young. He was kept on the opposite side of the room from any stereo or TV.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Loud music and T's...

I agree. Loud music may irritate your T's. While they cannot hear, they are very sensitive to vibrations in their environment. It won't be their demise but they may think that it is a catasrophic earthquake and want to go hide, shedding hairs in the process.
I play metal sometimes, but not for hours on end. And definately not while cleaning my Blondi's tanks. ;P :D
Greg :)

Garficro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OW! :eek: :rolleyes: :8o

below my terrarium is speaker!! :wall: :wall: right now im moving the speaker!

Garficro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I listen to metal punk rock and stuff! :) So i think she minds!

np: Iced Earth - The Hunter "Dark Saga" :cool:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Garficro said:
OW! :eek: :rolleyes: :8o

below my terrarium is speaker!! :wall: :wall: right now im moving the speaker!

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself. Atleast you asked about it, and when you found out it wasn't good, you did something about it. So if i were you, i wouldn't feel bad about it, i would feel happy that you found out if it bothered them, and then did something about it. :clap: :clap:

-Mattyb

Jainkee

Arachnopeon
Reggae must be really bad then, huh? It seems like she likes it though, she comes out of her hide & just sits. Maybe I'm wrong. But she's a Rosie & I heard they're pretty weird at times, so maybe it doesn't bother her.

Chironex

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been told that if my scorpions (Liocheles waigiensis) are hiding for days/weeks at a time its a sign that they are happy and not trying to escape... I don't know how different they are from T's hearing wise but i play loud music often and they still eat and get along nicely. Certain species may react differently or maybe its the soothing death metal i listen to :)

Personally i think its not to good but i need both to survive hehe and I'm sure it doesn't make them to insane. OR maybe it makes them as mad as my girlfriend.... (psychotic) she hates death metal.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
To be honest....

Do they really pick up the sound vibrations? If it is true that Ts can't hear (which I believe too) then I'd say the risk of them hearing music however loud it may be is rather small. I would think it is similar with sound and vibration as it is for us with visible light and UV light. Both are light, but be we humans can only see what is called the visible spectrum. The only way I'd see a T "hear" sound would be if the glass of the tank shakes because of the bass, then it could pick up those vibrations from the glass, but I doubt it would hear the music itself.

Remember also that different animals can hear different frequencies. That's because their ears are built different. So not every animal hears all sounds the same way by default. They are built a certain way to pic up certain vibrations and some can't pick up such vibrations at all. So hearing is by no means some kind of norm for animals, eventho many of them CAN hear. What is needed (afaik) for the ear to pick up a sound is for it to be able to respond to the correct resonance frequency. That in the human ear is done by the help of the hammer, anvil and stirup. For a Tarantula to pick up sound in an equal way it would have to have an ear like us (or two :rolleyes: ) or would have to have hairs with properties that make an exact match for them to resonate with a certain frequency. The frequencies Ts do hear tho arn't sound but they are way way lower because they relate to movement - actually movment is in many cases not a real "frequency" with a reacurring wavepattern at all, it is just one simple air-push of a certain magnitue in a certain direction. First when that air push becomes repetative it also gets a distinguishable frequency, logically. Frequency = frequent.

I've read (I think on this forum) that a T that isn't interested in food COULD be lured into eating if you throw a bumblebee or other harmless flying insect into the tank. If it flies arround the T get's extremely interested. There we have the only type of movement/sound that I could imagine being picked up by a T, because the insect buzzing arround is close to the T in the first place, but I doubt it can HEAR it like we do, from for example 6ft away.

Would music stress the T? An even harder question to theorize about, but I could imagine that what vibrations are left for the T to feel due to the music being converted into movement of the glass could be similar to bad weather vibrations. Bad weather would be related to wind and rain, not sound. So the vibrations would be different. Think of wind rushing through the branches of trees and rain hitting the ground and leaves. There you get an enormous concoction of movement vibrations in both air and ground which certainly must be a lot more intense than the thumping of music. I'd be surprised if it really was that stressful.

I believe that skittish species could react, but they react by running away from the slightest disturbances anyway, so would they be much more stressed than normally?

But I wouldn't know... I've never been a T in a speaker.

(Disclaimer: No, don't write any of what I've said in your dissertation, I've come up with all this with my own brain ...or what's left of it ;) )

Last edited:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tarantulas have extremley senstive hairs on thier body called trichobothria. They can pick up even the smallest air vibrations, *how a T can snatch a fly from the air as Cirith mentioned) so yes a T can easily sense your music. I don't believe that the music would really bother the T, unless it was sitting right on a subwoofer or speaker. Unless you play the music unreasonably loudly, to the point where things are shaking, I wouldnt worry about it.

danielr6543

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All of my tarantulas are in my bedroom along with my pc ,which blasts music all day long (1413 albums on random play). I also have my entire bass and guitar rig in my room. Of course none of my T's are directly near my amp or any of my speakers, but I play my music extremely loud regardless of time of day and havent noticed any ill effects. No excessive hair kicking or any unusual behavior. Hehe maybe its cause my T's just happen to like the suicidal and nihilistic black metal that I always play.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my T tanks ontop of the TV cabinet, and the only time I've seen them run and hide was when I was trying to fish out a Game Cube wire from behind the stand. I don't think it would bother them, as long as it isn't loud enough for the entire room to vibrate.

I did notice an amusing coincidence several nights ago. My G.rosea went into her hide when I turned on the president's speech. Guess she's not a Bush fan. {D