Lost Tarantula

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Does it get cold at night? (not very familiar with Australian climate,sorry) if so,maybe look in boiler rooms, places that stay warm at night? Bathroom could be a good hiding place too because of the humidity. Were there any doors/windows open at the time of the escape? What are the odds of it releasing itself back into the wild?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Judgemental much? Get off the pedestal and take the self-righteous nonsense to another thread. A mistake was made, and no one is infallible.

OP, the T probably went into the first crevice it could find, check shoes, corners of desks, bookcases, do a through search or nooks and crannies. IF that doesn't provide fruitful, I would move all inverts to another, more secure room or leave them with friends for the time being and use an insecticide. Aussie t's are serious business. Feel free next time you have a question about native t's to come on here and post and then this community can help provide the care you need for whatever you seek.
Just the fact he went into this the way he did despite owning a scorp. I'm being blunt here, the dude DID make a mistake, and usually I'd be like, "New guy, happens to the best of us" But he did something That's more or less ASKING for trouble. This is like one of those ladies bringing in a young bobcat or some crap simply because it "Looked scared" or "begging to come in"

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Just the fact he went into this the way he did despite owning a scorp. I'm being blunt here, the dude DID make a mistake, and usually I'd be like, "New guy, happens to the best of us" But he did something That's more or less ASKING for trouble. This is like one of those ladies bringing in a young bobcat or some crap simply because it "Looked scared" or "begging to come in"
T's are not scorpions and they're not bobcats. He acknowledged he made a mistake, there's really no need for you to put your two cents in, it didn't help the situation at all. Offer him advice or move onto something else.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
OH AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN POTENT BITE?? It's only young but from that species what should I expect?
Thanks
That's something i don't like at all. Everyone makes mistakes, we are humans. But Jesus Christ... you are from Australia and do not know that Australian Theraphosidae carry a potent venom, able to send someone into E.R (not to mention Australian funnelwebs btw) ?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
T's are not scorpions and they're not bobcats. He acknowledged he made a mistake, there's really no need for you to put your two cents in, it didn't help the situation at all. Offer him advice or move onto something else.
That's something i don't like at all. Everyone makes mistakes, we are humans. But Jesus Christ... you are from Australia and do not know that Australian Theraphosidae carry a potent venom, able to send someone into E.R (not to mention Australian funnelwebs btw) ?
This Jiacovazzi, he lives somewhere that literally all the native fauna are in a race to see who can kill eachother first. He did NO research, and just plucked one because it was there. Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but this, along with all the avic threads have been pissing me off.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Toxoderidae My comment (#25) was directed to user Richard9393, someone that (from my point of view) should at least know that Australian -- and notably Australia is the country of his profile -- Theraphosidae are OW potent venom ones. Education is the key in this hobby... mistakes, on the other hand, happens. Sure.
But know "what you want/own" is at least the minimum.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Might want to see if there are any friends or family who would be okay with taking your cat for a few days while you look for it, and if you can't find it by then maybe discuss options with an exterminator just to be completely safe. Though if the house was gassed you'd need to relocate your scorpion for however many weeks or months it'd take to be sure everything is aired out.

And c'mon, the guy knows he made a mistake. There's no point in continuing to slam him over it when he's coming here for help. All that's going to do is drive away another aspiring hobbiest.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@Toxoderidae My comment (#25) was directed to user Richard9393, someone that (from my point of view) should at least know that Australian -- and notably Australia is the country of his profile -- Theraphosidae are OW potent venom ones. Education is the key in this hobby... mistakes, on the other hand, happens. Sure.
But know "what you want/own" is at least the minimum.
I know, I was just using your post as an example of how Richard was pretty much asking for something like this.

Daniel

Arachnopeon
I had this same situation happen a few days ago with my scorpion. My cat knocked over my scorpion tank and he escaped while I was out of the house. Didn't have a black light so couldn't find him that way. I finally found him hiding on the bottom shelf of my bookcase. The difference is that the spider you lost is highly dangerous. Check all dark hidden places, and wear something to protect your hands when moving stuff, ideally thick leather gloves.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And c'mon, the guy knows he made a mistake. There's no point in continuing to slam him over it when he's coming here for help. All that's going to do is drive away another aspiring hobbiest.
I know what you mean, but from my point of view i have 'slam' no one, just stated my opinion. And my opinions, sometimes, are unpopular.
If i purchase a genus Poecilotheria Theraphosidae (you name one) or a Stromatopelma calceatum (just examples) i should know that i'm jumping into potent venom ones first.
I don't "judge" him for the escape... mistake happens. But "you" should know prior what you are bringing into your house, especially if there's other pets or people living with you.
Fair enough, i think.

Richard9393

Arachnopeon
Problem is tho, I came on here for advice and or a solution to my situation not your opinion. All of the people posting 'their opinion' are not contributing to me finding the spider.

As for research, i took a photo and tried to identify it against Australian species that I'd find in the warmer climate of QLD. I came across the pic of P Crassipes, and it looked EXACTLY the same.
So then I punched in P Crassipes into google, even added venom onto that to find out what exactly I had to deal with. there is very little info regarding the venom of this species. The family of spider however as people have pointed out just in general have a potent venom. I didn't think to go backwards look at the bigger picture.

As far as finding it goes. Last night revealed nothing. I will do another search today (I may as well) but in say 2 hours time when I haven't found it I will be poisoning the house.
And yes I realize how sensitive my scorpion is to chemicals, I've managed to keep her alive for 3.5yrs.
I tried to set up a water trap thing to lure it out but it didn't work, no doubt because of the summer heat and decent rain we got last night. Hopefully it has simply moved out and returned HOME.

Richard9393

Arachnopeon
And yes there is a chance it escaped completely. But it had to go right after falling from tank, go past book case and couch, under the wooden door (there is a big enough gap) then travel another 4m and climb thru a sliding door (fly screen style but minus fly screen) so yes possible. I hope that happened. But every invertebrate pro here that I contacted said look in the damp dark spots, no doubt the first thing it came across after falling out. But I tore that room apart.

Richard9393

Arachnopeon
Thanks, shouldn't be an issue tho. Everyone in the house is tradie so have to bash sand and dirt out of shoes first anyway lol

Two bug bombs have been set off but prior to that I sprayed all the hard to reach areas. I don't wanna kill the little bugger especially cos it's my fault. But I'll continue to regret having to kill a tarantula over my colossal 'mistake'. So I apologize to anyone who takes offense to me poisoning, I hate that I have to do it.
I sincerely hope it did make it outside.

Thanks for your help

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
there's really no need for you to put your two cents in... Offer him advice or move onto something else.
Ah, playing moderator again. Whether you agree with members or not, they can express their opinions about spiders and how they're kept, especially when someone opens a thread asking for responses.

You don't 'move' people along here.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Ah, playing moderator again. Whether you agree with members or not, they can express their opinions about spiders and how they're kept, especially when someone opens a thread asking for responses.

You don't 'move' people along here.
Ah, there you go, derailing a thread again..just when the helpful members offered good advice. We all have opinions and we can tell people to move along (especially when they consistently derail threads and contribute garbage) if we please.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ah, there you go, derailing a thread again..just when the helpful members offered good advice. We all have opinions and we can tell people to move along (especially when they consistently derail threads and contribute garbage) if we please.

I don't think so. It's not up to you to censor members.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I don't think so. It's not up to you to censor members.
Instead of derailing thread #296, Do you have anything helpful to contribute to the situation? Any veteran advice that hasn't already been said? Can we keep a thread topic related to a thread topic?