Lost my whole collection

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I havn't been around the boards in awhile and I currently have no tarantulas. It was last year and my neighbor sold their house. We share a wall. The tenets they were renting the property to were less than hygienic and created a pest infestation. They bug bombed the whole house next door and when I got home from work one day my place had a strong odor of pesticide. Over the following two weeks all my tarantulas died. I had just under 30, at least half of those I rasied from slings up to the 4 to 7 inch range. I'm just glad I didn't jump on the P. metallica band wagon when the speicies first hit or I would have been really pissed. I have no immediate plans to start a new collection but I may visit the forums more often as recently I'm missing my brood.

Luiscifer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OMG man. I feel ur pain. That's such a big fear of mine. My wife bought 4 of those little dohickys that u connect to the walls to drive away bugs and I freaked. She told me she almost connected them and then remembered at the last minute my T's. Don't let it get u down. Start again when u can. Good luck.

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's pretty ridiculous, you should have been warned that they intended to fumigate the house that shares a wall with yours. I'd be seriously considering a lawsuit if I were in your shoes.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's pretty ridiculous, you should have been warned that they intended to fumigate the house that shares a wall with yours. I'd be seriously considering a lawsuit if I were in your shoes.
The potential issue with that is if there were regulations about not having animals like that in the house...then he has no grounds for filing a complaint. Although I'm not sure if the OP was renting or if they owned.

Either way, I feel bad for what happened, and, as stated above, start again when you are able.

--Joe

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dang dude! thats horrible, sorry about your loss.. There must be something you could do about this. Some kind of law to notify the tenants in the house that harmful chemicals are going to be used and to get your pets and stay out for so many hours? I mean what if a new born was in that house and had got sick, cats, dogs? Im getting more mad just writing this :evil: I would really look into the Tenants' Rights, Tenant Safety and Landlord Liability or call Housing Authority. if you have prof of what you had, pics even you may be able to take it to small claims court. good luck

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would at the very least get a consultation. If animals were against regulation you could at least file the complaint for endangerment. They should have warned you since many shared-wall homes can share the same air vents. But dude I know how it is to lose your collection. I didn't have quite that many but I lost all of mine within a period of a month. It sucks and I'm sorry for your loss. :(

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is an incredibly tragic story. I'm so sorry to hear it!

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would be really upset. Sorry for the loss that really bites. And yes you should of been notified.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. I hate pesticides, very few good things about them. They solve one problem and create a whole host of other problems. :(

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man that's horrible.Sorry for your loss!I can't believe they would bomb there apartment like that with not even telling you.what if that was like a babies room on the other side of that wall?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Exactly syndicate. It is completely inappropriate that they fumigated without warning if there was any likelihood of the pesticides affecting another household. It is dangerous not just to bugs, but adults, children, other more common pets, etc. to be exposed to pesticides from fumigation; there is a reason why people are usually evacuated from their homes during the process.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Man, I would be devastated. I'm sorry for your loss. Not only did you lose some beloved specimens, but also a good bit of time and cash I'm sure. Welcome back to AB! The more you look around the more you will miss your collection.

Last edited:

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: Sorry to hear that...

Time to consult the For Sale section to heal some wounds. :(

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm sorry man. That really sux. I seriously would pursue some sort of civil lawsuit.

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So sorry for the loss! If that would happen to me i would kill someone for sure! :evil:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I am so sorry. I would be both sad and angry to say the least. I hope you are able to receive some sort of financial compensation and that you can get back in the hobby soon!

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ouch:( Whats more tragic is you raised them from slings.

Had a close call with my collection when I brought them to my dorm.