Lost a sling in the room today!

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Well .... long story short,

I was rehousing slings today into 4" deli cups and during one of my Poecilotheria striata rehousing I lost one. I was trying to get the 1" sling out of the vial inside the deli when the little bugger "shot" up the side onto my lap and down my P.J.s.

I put down the cup and stood up watching the floor just incase it jumped off. I checked myself as good as I could and still could not find it. I took one layer off at a time and still nothing. I have concluded that the slings is not on me.

I looked briefly down on the floor when I was sitting and nothing :wall: . I didn't want to move anything because I don't want to stress the little thing out to run more. I also didn't want to move things and possibly crush the sling not knowing what it was under.

I turned off the lights in the room and plan to check tonight... We'll see :mad:

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bummer....sorry to hear that, but glad you're ok. The thought of a striata running around inside pajamas is creepy. {D

Good luck finding the little bugger.

Here's a thought (maybe not so nice of one): You could use one of those cans or compressed air to blow air under neath things and maybe spur it to start running somewhere. Once you spot movement, you could capture it! the downside is, if it catches a full blast, it could be blown into a wall and damaged.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a thought (maybe not so nice of one): You could use one of those cans or compressed air to blow air under neath things and maybe spur it to start running somewhere. Once you spot movement, you could capture it! the downside is, if it catches a full blast, it could be blown into a wall and damaged.
Or possibly frozen.

Actually, I'd imagine just the full blast from a warm and fresh can of canned air would be enough to blow a sling to bits.

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, if you hold the can far enough away from where you are blowing, the effects will be greatly lessened. I should have clarified that it would not be ideal to hold the tube under the desk and pull he trigger. Also, it's not gonna freeze unless you hold it upside down.

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or, better yet, if you are afraid of killing it,you could just blow with your lungs and hope you find it before you pass out. ;)

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll keep an eye out on Long Island, just in case it tries to head south ;)

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that, Chris. Hopefully you find it quickly and easily. Keep us posted!

Jen

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it's headed to warmer weather, probably Florida.

Seriously, hope you find the little cutie.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agghh to bad, is it a teenee lill one?
anyway, small ones hard to spot
check ur walls and corners, hope it will turn out fer it sake
I'll be over on Wed to help u look
Good luck, Man

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear, Chris. With a new day and a fresh hunt, you may find it. I would check every possible corner in the room, like the underside of table tops. At one inch, you may be lucky.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I really sympathise with you man, I woke up this morning to find my 1.5" regalis had escaped in the night. Cue a frantic hour searching everything in my very messy bedroom very carefully, I was worried about crushing it like you said. I was fortunate enough to find it huddled up on the floor hiding underneath a suitcase, it had only travelled about 2m. I wish you the same luck!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeez Chris, with all of the artificial foliage in your T room you might as well be in a rainforest looking for it. One day you are going to enter your room to find the neighbor's cat in a cocoon in the corner.

Best of luck
:}

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Well,

I went back out after a brief nap...have not been feeling good and managed to do more damage.... I killed another 1 1/2" P. striata trying to take off under the lid of a deli. I squashed the poor guy. The meds I am on right now "muscle relaxors" are not letting me be a full potential. I give up for tonight!

So today's damage,...
I have found one very special sling dead , killed one and lost one. I refuse to go back in there unless my head is straight.

I was supposed to wrap a bunch of stuff up for someone tonight and can't find myself to do it after what I have done.

Man, I'm down!

:mad:

Arachno_Shack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that Chris.

That really sucks. Just remember, you are dealing with things that literally have minds of their own. Their instinct is to run and hide, and despite your best efforts, sometimes bad things happen. I'm sure nothing any of us say will make you feel better, but hang in there.

Take a break, relax, and try to shake it off. Nothing you did was intentional. As Danny already stated, he's prolly living the high life in your Jungle Room.

Good Luck.

Tim

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really sorry to hear about that, Chris. Like everyone else said, you'll probably find him a couple inches bigger hanging out in one of your plants just waiting for you to find him! Sorry to hear about your little squished one, I accidentally squished a baby gerbil when I was little, it was a freak accident, so I know how you must feel. You really can't help these things. Things will get better soon enough, you'll see! :eek:

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh man, Chris, I'm sorry to hear that. :( If you want help looking for the lost one, LMK.

Jen

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry about the squished one...really stinks. Don't get down, you'll successfully raise up many more slings than would have statistically survived in the wild.
You are way ahead man..think of good things to come along with 8 legs soon.

...and don't go cutting any Stainless Steel inverts out tonite either...
:embarrassed: