1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to start a hiking group in Central Arizona.

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by DubiaW, Jun 18, 2017.

1. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    I've been going on night hikes and flipping expeditions in central and southern Arizona. Mainly I go alone at night because I don't know many local people into inverts. There are plenty of good spots around here. Planning trips will be a great way to meet new people with similar interests and it will be more fun than going alone. I know some hot spots for inverts and herps. Here is a list of some of the things that I have been finding in my hunting areas. The rule is you catch it you decide who gets to keep it.

Centipedes
    Scolopendra heros arizonensis
    Scolopendra polymorpha
    Scolopendra viridis
    Lithobius
    sp
    Scutigeridae sp
    Theatops posticus

Millipedes
    Orthoporus ornatus (brown or black)

Scorpions

Diplocentrus spitzeri
    Hadrurus arizonensis
    Centruroides sculpteratus
    Vaejovis spinigerus

Tarantulas and spiders
    Aphonopelma chalcodes
    Hogna carolinensis
    Olios giganteus
    Selenops sp

Vinegaroons, solofugids and Whip Spiders
    Mastigoproctus gigantea
    Paraphrynus carolynae
    Eremobates
    sp.

Crustaceans
    Triops longicaudatus

Reptiles
    Heloderma suspectum
    Crotalus molossus
    Crotalus atrox
    Crotalus scutulatus
    Crotalus cerastes
    Crotalus tigris
    Crotalus lepidus
    Chilomeniscus stramineus
    Arizona elegans
    Tantilla hobartsmithi
    Rhinocheilus lecontei
    Leptotyphlops humilis
    Pituophis catinifer
    Sonora semiannulata

Diadophis punctatus
    Lampropeltus getula

Gopherus agassazii
    Salvadora hexalepis
    Hypsiglena chlorophaea
    Coluber flagellum

Micruroides euryxanthus
    Coleonyx variegatus
    Dipsosaurus dorsalis

Callisaurus draconoides
    Sceloporus magister

Amphibians

Incilius alvarius
    scaphiopus couchii
    Anaxyrus cognatus

Anaxyrus retiformis

Anaxyrus punctatus

2. tetracerus

tetracerus Arachnosquire

I'm interested! I'm up in Scottsdale which is a little far, but I'd love to meet more invert people as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

There is someone else up in the north part of Phoenix that wants to go too. I have a phenomenal hunting area in Pinal County that covers over one hundred square miles. I'll send you a PM. This weekend is dedicated to night hiking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Second hike of the weekend tonight.

5. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

IMG_0192.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

7. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Aphonopelma sp possibly marxi IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0230.jpg

8. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Sorry about the lack of invertebrate pics. They are pretty fast to get into their burrows and the last thing I am thinking of is taking pictures. I'll try to post more catch pics in the future.

We are about to head out again for the third trip this weekend. Tonight we will be looking for amblypygids. Wish us luck.

9. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Last night's hike was phenomenal! We spent a couple hours hiking and road hunted for several more hours. We caught six Paraphrynus carolynae, seven Aphonopelma chalcodes, one Hadrurus arizonensis, and saw many more of all of them. One of the participants caught a few different kinds of beetles and some banded geckos. We saw a desert tortoise, a coral snake and a tiger rattlesnake (the first one I have seen in the wild).

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you that have PM'd me. We still have a member in the north valley that needs a carpool ride to go on trips. PM me if you are interested. A suggested equipment list will be provided. Please wear pants and long sleeves on these trips for crawling through the underbrush. One member didn't wear them last night and lamented that he should have. Please bring water and your own deli's. If you have had firearms safety training it is encouraged to bring a side arm (if you are not trained do not bring a side arm). It hasn't happened on these trips yet but there is the possibility of getting attacked by javelinas, mountain lions and people. Years back I have been charged by boar and have had people shoot at me, one time I even stumbled upon a mobile drug lab while hiking and got chased out. These incidents are not the norm and no one should be afraid of it. If you do not like guns you can carry pepper spray or a tazer, and you should know that no one is bringing guns to go shooting (if anyone draws a weapon irresponsibly they will get sent home). I carry a crowbar for catching and digging but it would also serve to ward off a charging javelina or cougar. FYI: No shooting at wildlife unless it is attacking you and there is never a reason to shoot rattlesnakes.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

There is going to be a trip in Pinal County on Saturday night if anyone is interested. It is supposed to rain and the humidity is up so the night should be eventful. The location may change if we have to chase the rain.

11. Arachnid Hobby

Arachnid Hobby Arachnosquire

I so badly want to go but Florida isn't very close to Arizona. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Let me know if you are ever in AZ.

13. Andy00

Andy00 Arachnosquire

This sounds so awesome! I hope I'm in Arizona someday. Maybe I'll road trip down in august

• Like Like x 1
  14. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Out of state enthusiasts are very welcome to come along. I would like to host hikes for people all from all over the world. It's free for now. I'm considering starting a guided hike company that has all inclusive amenities; Hotel or AirBnB, camping and catching gear, food, and maybe even an exporter/importer licence to send people's catches home to them. One can dream. I'm just taking this one year at a time.

15. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Caught two Scolopendra heros last weekend. The other one is a pling.
    [​IMG]

16. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Another S. heros.
    [​IMG]

17. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Trimorphodon lambda (Lyre Snake).
    [​IMG]

18. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Lyre snakes are beautiful!

that Saddled leafnose snake is very difficult to keep and will generally only eat eggs btw

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Caught another S. heros last night IMG_0290.JPG

20. DubiaW

DubiaW Arachnobaron

Micruroides euryxanthus (Pinal County, AZ). It ate a night snake and a banded gecko last night. Fat and happy. IMG_0291.JPG