Looking to start a hiking group in Central Arizona.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I've been going on night hikes and flipping expeditions in central and southern Arizona. Mainly I go alone at night because I don't know many local people into inverts. There are plenty of good spots around here. Planning trips will be a great way to meet new people with similar interests and it will be more fun than going alone. I know some hot spots for inverts and herps. Here is a list of some of the things that I have been finding in my hunting areas. The rule is you catch it you decide who gets to keep it.

Centipedes
Scolopendra heros arizonensis
Scolopendra polymorpha
Scolopendra viridis
Lithobius
sp
Scutigeridae sp
Theatops posticus

Millipedes
Orthoporus ornatus (brown or black)

Scorpions

Diplocentrus spitzeri
Hadrurus arizonensis
Centruroides sculpteratus
Vaejovis spinigerus

Tarantulas and spiders
Aphonopelma chalcodes
Hogna carolinensis
Olios giganteus
Selenops sp

Vinegaroons, solofugids and Whip Spiders
Mastigoproctus gigantea
Paraphrynus carolynae
Eremobates
sp.

Crustaceans
Triops longicaudatus

Reptiles
Heloderma suspectum
Crotalus molossus
Crotalus atrox
Crotalus scutulatus
Crotalus cerastes
Crotalus tigris
Crotalus lepidus
Chilomeniscus stramineus
Arizona elegans
Tantilla hobartsmithi
Rhinocheilus lecontei
Leptotyphlops humilis
Pituophis catinifer
Sonora semiannulata

Diadophis punctatus
Lampropeltus getula

Gopherus agassazii
Salvadora hexalepis
Hypsiglena chlorophaea
Coluber flagellum

Micruroides euryxanthus
Coleonyx variegatus
Dipsosaurus dorsalis

Callisaurus draconoides
Sceloporus magister

Amphibians

Incilius alvarius
scaphiopus couchii
Anaxyrus cognatus

Anaxyrus retiformis

Anaxyrus punctatus

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
I'm interested! I'm up in Scottsdale which is a little far, but I'd love to meet more invert people as well.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I'm interested! I'm up in Scottsdale which is a little far, but I'd love to meet more invert people as well.
There is someone else up in the north part of Phoenix that wants to go too. I have a phenomenal hunting area in Pinal County that covers over one hundred square miles. I'll send you a PM. This weekend is dedicated to night hiking.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Sorry about the lack of invertebrate pics. They are pretty fast to get into their burrows and the last thing I am thinking of is taking pictures. I'll try to post more catch pics in the future.

We are about to head out again for the third trip this weekend. Tonight we will be looking for amblypygids. Wish us luck.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Last night's hike was phenomenal! We spent a couple hours hiking and road hunted for several more hours. We caught six Paraphrynus carolynae, seven Aphonopelma chalcodes, one Hadrurus arizonensis, and saw many more of all of them. One of the participants caught a few different kinds of beetles and some banded geckos. We saw a desert tortoise, a coral snake and a tiger rattlesnake (the first one I have seen in the wild).

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you that have PM'd me. We still have a member in the north valley that needs a carpool ride to go on trips. PM me if you are interested. A suggested equipment list will be provided. Please wear pants and long sleeves on these trips for crawling through the underbrush. One member didn't wear them last night and lamented that he should have. Please bring water and your own deli's. If you have had firearms safety training it is encouraged to bring a side arm (if you are not trained do not bring a side arm). It hasn't happened on these trips yet but there is the possibility of getting attacked by javelinas, mountain lions and people. Years back I have been charged by boar and have had people shoot at me, one time I even stumbled upon a mobile drug lab while hiking and got chased out. These incidents are not the norm and no one should be afraid of it. If you do not like guns you can carry pepper spray or a tazer, and you should know that no one is bringing guns to go shooting (if anyone draws a weapon irresponsibly they will get sent home). I carry a crowbar for catching and digging but it would also serve to ward off a charging javelina or cougar. FYI: No shooting at wildlife unless it is attacking you and there is never a reason to shoot rattlesnakes.

Last edited:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
There is going to be a trip in Pinal County on Saturday night if anyone is interested. It is supposed to rain and the humidity is up so the night should be eventful. The location may change if we have to chase the rain.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
This sounds so awesome! I hope I'm in Arizona someday. Maybe I'll road trip down in august

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Out of state enthusiasts are very welcome to come along. I would like to host hikes for people all from all over the world. It's free for now. I'm considering starting a guided hike company that has all inclusive amenities; Hotel or AirBnB, camping and catching gear, food, and maybe even an exporter/importer licence to send people's catches home to them. One can dream. I'm just taking this one year at a time.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Caught two Scolopendra heros last weekend. The other one is a pling.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Lyre snakes are beautiful!

that Saddled leafnose snake is very difficult to keep and will generally only eat eggs btw

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Micruroides euryxanthus (Pinal County, AZ). It ate a night snake and a banded gecko last night. Fat and happy. IMG_0291.JPG