Looking to buy my first scorpion. Is the above sticky thread still to par on the Emperor Scorpion?

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
It sounds like a pretty easy set up, but the thread is 14 years old. Just want to make sure there isn't a better or more simpler way to care for one. It won't be until mid Nov before I purchase the Scorpion at Repticon in SC.

I'm also reading that the life span of male to female scorpions is just about the same so no need to worry about ones sex. Is this true too?

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
in most species i'm pretty sure the females usually grow larger and live longer but this isn't substantial to like a tarantula. i also read that emperors were banned from import so if manage to find one, good for you.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
in most species i'm pretty sure the females usually grow larger and live longer but this isn't substantial to like a tarantula. i also read that emperors were banned from import so if manage to find one, good for you.
I've herd that too that they are banned from importing. I'm sure there are plenty of breeders out there that are selling them. I have been reading that people are passing red claw scorpions off as emperors. I haven't compared the two, but what the easiest way to tell the difference so you aren't getting ripped off?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Both sex. Live VERY long so it shouldn't be a worry. A female is always better to have in my opinion, theyre usually larger. If you want to give to a nice large enclosure it will do just fine with 5+ inches of substrate of moist Cocofiber or peat mixed with a little sand. With a few hides and a lid with most of the ventilation covered to keep humidity up

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
i actually don't know (big surprise;)) i did read that heterometrus have smoother claws or something? we might have to ask an person who's not a beginner.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
i actually don't know (big surprise;)) i did read that heterometrus have smoother claws or something? we might have to ask an person who's not a beginner.
Yeah screw that.. Thats what makes emperors so impressive is those giant claws!! I love them!!

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
So, to answer a few questions. Not all Heterometrus species have smooth chelae. The commonly available ones do, but there are many, many others. Also, they do not have small chelae either! Both genera will give you a mean pinch!

There are many great beginner scorpions. If you choose a tropical, like an emperor or a forest, they are very easy. Keep them warm, humid (with access to a water dish), room to burrow, and ample food, and you'll be fine.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
So, to answer a few questions. Not all Heterometrus species have smooth chelae. The commonly available ones do, but there are many, many others. Also, they do not have small chelae either! Both genera will give you a mean pinch!

There are many great beginner scorpions. If you choose a tropical, like an emperor or a forest, they are very easy. Keep them warm, humid (with access to a water dish), room to burrow, and ample food, and you'll be fine.
I'm pretty set on an emperor. I've always admired them, but never really thought about getting one until lately. I'm really looking forward to it.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
But is the sticky thread care on an emperor scorpion still a good way to go with the false bottom and everything?

Mila

Arachnoknight
emperors are fun but theyre pretty expensive now. youre looking at around $50 just for a 2-3i.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heterometrus species are a great alternative to Pandinus sensu lato, and the care is exactly the same. The sticky is still up to par.

I should add that not all Pandinoides species have dark telsons, and that the easiest way to distinguish between them and Pandinus imperator is the shape of their chela.

Reptilesbyrick

Arachnopeon
I actually bred my true P. imperators this past summer. I still have a few 3i left for $35 each. There are not that many breeders of the true emperors and you must be careful if that is what you want. Many red claws out there being sold as true P. imperator. They are no longer being imported. It has taken me some time to get to this point as a I raised the parents up myself from 2i. Great first scorpion to start with. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I actually bred my true P. imperators this past summer. I still have a few 3i left for $35 each. There are not that many breeders of the true emperors and you must be careful if that is what you want. Many red claws out there being sold as true P. imperator. They are no longer being imported. It has taken me some time to get to this point as a I raised the parents up myself from 2i. Great first scorpion to start with. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

I am very interested in one. Your mailbox is full. Hopefully not from this thread or if it is. You saved me one! Its 3AM I just got home from work. I'll look for a message noonish when I wake up.

Not sure how big a 3i is. Is the bottom picture in your post a 3i?

doodledog

Arachnopeon
I would be interested in one @Reptilesbyrick... I too am looking for my first Pandinus imperator... Thought about a Hadogenes too... Would really love to get my hands on a P. imperator though... Please inbox me and let me know if you still have any... Thx!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
But is the sticky thread care on an emperor scorpion still a good way to go with the false bottom and everything?
You don't need the false bottom set up. My Pandinus imperators live in an Enclosure with moist Eco Earth that they have burrowed down into. They are kept on the lower end of their temperature range but that is not by choice (long story). They are fairly good feeders.

gottacontra

Arachnopeon

I am definitely interested in one. How do I proceed?

Reptilesbyrick

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the delayed response. Just send me your zip in a PM and I can give you the details of shipping cost. Thank you!

Reptilesbyrick

Arachnopeon
I would be interested in one @Reptilesbyrick... I too am looking for my first Pandinus imperator... Thought about a Hadogenes too... Would really love to get my hands on a P. imperator though... Please inbox me and let me know if you still have any... Thx!!
I sent you a PM. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you!