Looking for something more aggressive...

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want a large aggressive new world T, I would go with the cancerides. Otherwise, Old world is the only way to go. There have been some great suggestions already, but I'll add a couple. I have a Chilobrachys huahini (Thai Fawn) that is big, visible all the time, and insanely aggressive! I have already had 2 close calls just trying to remove the water dish for cleaning. Also, check out the Aussie T's. They are sweet looking, and from what I've heard, super aggressive as well. Have fun!

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, right.

No minority.... I've kept a bunch, and not had a single one I'd even classify as very defensive.

I'll second cancerides for attitude, or geniculata for all around cool T.
I've handled two cancerides (one of which my own, I handle her routinely) and never seen the slightest hint of defensiveness (albeit, I cup and remove them from their enclosures prior to handling). Anyone familiar with S. calceatum? I'm looking for something challenging myself.

--the nature boy

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
N. Chromatus

Old world species are mean, but you never ever see them.

Here is my 5" N. Chromatus.

'Nuff said.

Last edited:

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't believe all the votes for P. cancerides. I have one and a cricket is crawling on it as we speak. I stick my hand in the cage to adjust the furniture and he just quietly sits there. There are exceptions to every rule, though. I've had the same results with my S. rubronitens. I keep buying defensive/aggro Ts and getting lambs!

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Troglodyte...I seen Acanthosurria Geniculata mentioned as defensive aka aggressive and my 6 inch female does kick her urticating hairs BUT somewhat calms down after I pick her up. I have did cage maintenance without her mistaking my hand and/or fingers for crickets. I know each individual tarantula is different and as the potential of biting me.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got H. Lividum, 2 OBTs, 2 P. Regalis... and you know what my most aggressive T is?

B. Sabulosum. Evil. Escaped once by charging me. Will throw a threat pose before kicking hairs. I touched her back leg with a chopstick one time to get her to move, and she turned around and tagged the chopstick rather than moving.

I've never heard anyone else say this about any brachypelma... but she's nuts.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Nhando gives a nice defencive position. It was hard to get out of teh deli up lol. I was takeing the tape off adn it reared up for like 10mins afterwards. Beautiful colors 2 imo. Great choice

my LP is rather skitish (only 2inches) But it has gave me a defensive stance a few times so i think shes gonna grow up to be insane xD

Last edited:

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. Lividum

My most defensive is my H. Lividum...... phsyco litle guy and he isn't even grown yet. :}

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do tell

I'm not familiar with this species and could find little besides pictures on the web. Could you tell me a bit more about it or point me in a direction to learn more?

--the nature boy

The best all around T's in my opinion. Out all the time, aggressive, eat in front of you and absolutely beautiful! In my experience they are terrestrial, burrowing and arboreal. I'd say about 90% terrestrial being out in front of you, 9% burrowing being tucked away with the leg and pedipalps showing and 1% arboreal climbing all the way to the top of the enclosure. If you like an occasional rush from your animals than these are the critters for you! They go insane when you move them from enclosures. They are quick, jump and run in any direction! Left, right, horizontally, vertically. I've spent hours at a time just watching and learning her behavior. She's new and I haven't caught on completely yet but I've learned a lot.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not familiar with this species and could find little besides pictures on the web. Could you tell me a bit more about it or point me in a direction to learn more?

--the nature boy
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/C-thorelli.html
Probably not as aggressive as a lividum. But I wanted something I could see. Oh and BTW the caresheet calls them thorelli's but they're now called Cyriopagopus shioedtei's.

Sweet'nTheRide

Arachnopeon
I have an A. Geni and it is still little, probably about 1.5" still and you can't even open it's cage to feed it without it kicking hairs. Trying to get it to move with something will definatley result in at least a defense pose if not just spinning around and bitting. I think it is funny because the sticker that was on the cage when i bought it said "beautiful and friendly."

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I just acquired a juvenile Lasiodora parahybana yesterday. I was trying to move her from a deli cup container to a bigger enclosure, she was really pissed... i tried nudging her by using a piece of chopstick and she immediately began attacking the chopstick and giving threat postures.

Senses-Tingling

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want a large aggressive new world T, I would go with the cancerides. Otherwise, Old world is the only way to go. There have been some great suggestions already, but I'll add a couple. I have a Chilobrachys huahini (Thai Fawn) that is big, visible all the time, and insanely aggressive! I have already had 2 close calls just trying to remove the water dish for cleaning. Also, check out the Aussie T's. They are sweet looking, and from what I've heard, super aggressive as well. Have fun!
I have 2 C.huahini slings, only 1/4", and they want to eat me already. They go bonkers when I open the deli lid. I'm nervous of them hitting the 1" mark, let alone 4+". Should be a fun experience raising them. I thought my OBT's were psycho.

Last edited:

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will agree with nearly any OW T. I figure your best bet is nearly any African Baboon or Asian species, Citharischius, Ceratogyrus, Coremiocnemis, Cyriopagopus, Hetroscoda, Poecilotheria, Selenocosmia, Pterinochilus, Hysterocrates, Eucratoscelus, or Haplopelma. Some are very common, some are nearly impossible to find, all can give a nice adrenal rush lol. The new stuff from Australia Phlogius would be a very interesting collection to start as well. LOL I guess you can tell I favor OW. L. para and T. blondi are nice T's, but there are so many others that seem 'less common' to me. Enjoy whatever you get, thats all that really matters.
Rev

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Any species of Poecilotheria ;)
Hey man, Im just trying to save you some hassle here because I was totally guilty of this same thing, but while its GREAT that you're using the search and reading old posts to acclimate yourself being new here, I can't even begin to tell you how many people got annoyed and admonished me when I first got here and would respond to posts from like 2005. I didn't even mean to, I never looked at the date - but maybe you should check the date before responding! :) If for no other reason than usually the original poster isn't even around anymore to see your response.

I'm still *relatively* new to these boards and am making it my mission to help newbies not have to go through the frustration of feeling like nobody likes them because they bring back old threads. lol. no offense meant! just want you to be aware. have a lovely day :)