Looking for opinions for my first T

TriGunX83

Arachnopeon
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to start owning a T. Think I've made up my mind on getting.

But just last week one of the local Petsmarts has started to carry T's. all be it just one A. Avic.
Although I was leaning towards the GBB, the cost and shipping are quite a bit more than the local A. Avic.
what would most people suggest to go with? are the beginner kits from fear not worth the extra for someone who has nothing to start with?
Also, anyone from central Iowa knows of any reptile or spider conventions that come through the area that would also sell T's?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
Both are a great first T i'd go with whichever you like the most. GBB can be a little fast but i wouldn't let that put you off.
are the beginner kits from fear not worth the extra for someone who has nothing to start with?
if you're referring to the beginner kits that pet shops sell it depends what's in it but you're likely to be sold stuff you don't need and would probably be better off just choosing the enclosure/decorations/substrate you want.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to start owning a T. Think I've made up my mind on getting this. https://fearnottarantulas.com/produ...ubescens-green-bottleblue-tarantula-complete/
But just last week one of the local Petsmarts has started to carry T's. all be it just one A. Avic.
Although I was leaning towards the GBB, the cost and shipping are quite a bit more than the local A. Avic.
what would most people suggest to go with? are the beginner kits from fear not worth the extra for someone who has nothing to start with?
Also, anyone from central Iowa knows of any reptile or spider conventions that come through the area that would also sell T's?
GBB are wonderful beginner Tarantulas. They are a very hardy species and easy to keep. They can be fast though.

Avicularia species are not that forgiving.

The GBB will be a sling so you can use the enclosure or save some money and use a deli cup, just research on this forum for proper setup.

Jim Cricket

Arachnopeon
Many wonderful sellers/breeders right here in the for sale/classifieds selling those exact Ts and many more! What are you looking for in a T is the question.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Either species could work if you're not planning to handle.

The GBB is faster, but its care is probably easier for a first-time keeper to get right. They're terrestrial webbers; juveniles and adults should be kept on dry substrate with a water dish and lots of anchor points for webbing.

Avicularia are arboreal. They aren't as delicate as some would have you believe, but they are less forgiving of beginner's errors, particularly those caused by following care sheets that mislead people into creating damp, stuffy enclosures in order to maintain high humidity. If set up properly, they normally create a tube-like web retreat.

Both species tend to be more skittish than defensive, though the GBB can flick urticating hairs when threatened. (Avics have urticating hairs but don't kick them into the air; instead they embed their hairs in their webbing and rub their abdomens against perceived threats in order to release the hairs.)

If you do get an Avic, I would recommend reading these helpful threads first and then posting pictures of your enclosure for feedback. (95% of the "help my dying Avic" threads could have been avoided if their owners had sought feedback on their enclosures.)

We now have a new beginner thread with lots of information that you will find helpful.

TriGunX83

Arachnopeon
yea I've spent a good bit of the last month almost obsessing about getting one and making sure I get the husbandry right.
If I get one I just want it to be a little more than a pet rock, which is why I'm leaning toward the GBB.
the A.avic is because I can get it local (PetSmart) and use the I would have spent on shipping to get it into a better living space out the gate.
I'd be willing to travel to get one if there are any exotic stores within a reasonable drive from Des Moines Iowa.

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
The two species are kept completely different. GBB are better kept on the dry side and Avics like things a bit more humid. My Avic is very docile and takes dubias right from the tongs. My GBB is also a voracious eater and a prolific webber, but is a bit more skittish. Either way look at Jamie’s Tarantulas’s acrylic cages, especially for an Avic. I actually use a Showcase cage for my GBB.

cold blood

Staff member
Geez thats set up horribly.

Heres a tip, shop breeder lists....now is a great time of year to utilize two to three day shipping, which cost a fraction of what you're anticipating. For instance, had I not been sold out, I could have gotten an albo or chalcodes sling to you for under $20 easily including shipping. Shop smarter that's my advice.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It is hard to say, this is the picture I took. Unfortunately there wasn’t anyone to help me with getting a better view. They want 27.99 for him/her
What a nightmare that setup is and that tarantula is obviously not doing well in it. Who is selling these tarantulas to pet stores where they end up like this? Who? This should be a crime.

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon
750FDDC6-4B75-4AD6-A039-42203641725C.jpeg AF71F626-0675-4275-A273-E6466214099B.jpeg I just got an A. avic from someone on Craigslist. Paid 30$ and got a 10gal tank, fake plant, calcium powder, flake 1/2 log for hide, water dish, and reptile bark as substrate. Oh and the spider. Who they claim is a female but is about the size of the top of a coke can. Maybe a little wider.

Why they had that tiny spider I will never know. I liked the idea of the reptile bark because it will stay moist and excess water will flow down but I know it’s not the right stuff. Tomorrow I’m going to get coco fiber and vermiculite for her.

Also I’m amazed she ate 3 mealworms tonight. My daughter was having a blast with her

cold blood

Staff member
Needs a completely new set up.

Dont use vermiculite, thats an additive specifically for moisture retention, something you don't want with an avic that should be kept dry.

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon

Dont use vermiculite, thats an additive specifically for moisture retention, something you don't want with an avic that should be kept dry.
Gotcha. Yeah first thing I did was re home it. I just need to get the new substrate. I thought the vermiculite was something for moisture. I remember using it for snake eggs.

So she won’t need much humidity wise then? Like maybe throw her in the bathroom with me once a week and let the humidity and moisture from the bathroom air in her enclosure, well Tupperware container?

cold blood

Staff member
So she won’t need much humidity wise then? Like maybe throw her in the bathroom with me once a week and let the humidity and moisture from the bathroom air in her enclosure, well Tupperware container?
Absolutely positively not!

Not only is humidity not important, high humidity is actually the number one killer of the genus.

Make sure her new enclosure is very well ventilated, kept predominantly dry and never put in something like a hot steamy bathroom.

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon
Sounds good.. Glad i have only had her for a few days now... Also nice bass BTW... I'm about to add a pic of me and my 35" Red Drum

this is what she is in now... i think i need more holes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Sounds good.. Glad i have only had her for a few days now... Also nice bass BTW... I'm about to add a pic of me and my 35" Red Drum

Needs some work, too small IMO, and you should focus on adding more leaf clutter towards the top of the enclosure. More vent wouldn't hurt either, cross vent allows for good airflow, this species often dies in the hands of new keepers because of one mistake or another.

One of the reasons I recommend brachys and so on for first timers. They are much more hardy and forgiving of newbie errors.

cold blood

Staff member

Alterations...first, more ventilation...second, larger wood, its just not tall enough, it should extent to the top. Lastly, the plants should surround the top of the wood, and the ground level should be free of clutter and plants.

Nice redfish...I never tangled with too many saltwater fish myself.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Or dont use it at all! Vermiculite is not necessary even for moisture retainment if one is using the right substrate in proper ammount! Plus,, vermiculite looks unnatural and ugly as heck!