1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for jewel spiders (spiny back orb weavers) and the daring jumper

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by alex21, Sep 27, 2004.

1. alex21

alex21 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Texas
    Advertisement
    I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I am looking for jewel spiders and this other type of spider, the micrathena sagittata as well as the black bold daring jumping spider. if you can help me out, please send me a pm or email me at erik_ut_2001@yahoo.com

Thanks

2. Nephila Edulis

Nephila Edulis Arachnosquire Active Member

If you're not in Australia which I assume you aren't seeing as you're also looking for a daring jumping spider, you have almost no chance of getting a spiny orb weaver unless you happen to discover a new species of spiny orb weaver where you are.

3. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    They are indeed in south Texas. I actually see them every once in a while in my yard and they are my favorite! I'll keep an eye out for some!

4. Nephila Edulis

Really? I thought they were an animal only found in Australia. Maybe it's a different species over there

5. MetalMan2004

Texas
    The ones here look exactly like the one in the first picture of the wikipedia article. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_orb-weaver. Some have more yellow in them though. Not sure of exact species though.

I'll keep an eye out and try to take some pictures.

6. MetalMan2004

Texas
    There was a sling that has been hanging out on my patio for a week or two. I got a couple of bad pictures before I lost the tiny thing. They are indeed here though. Sorry for the terrible photos. Maybe it'll make another web so I can find it again tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. Nephila Edulis

Ver happy interesting and beautiful little spider