1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Info about two unidentified Theraphosinae sp.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by MikeyD, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MikeyD

MikeyD Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I have a smaller collection of Tarantulas and Whipspiders (listed in my profile) and for the most part I have stuck to dwarf species at first as they were what initially captured my interest but have been slowly moving into other New World T's. More recently I have rehoused my GBB, Tapinauchenius violaceus, Holothele sanguiniceps, and all went smoothly using the pop bottle method but they are all still between 1.5 and 2.5 inches.
    I have been interested in getting another 1-2 Ts and have narrowed it down to Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi, Theraphosinae sp Bolivia, and potentially Theraphosinae sp Yucatan. I have been able to find sufficient info on the Euathlus but less so on the two unidentified Theraphosinae species. The Theraphosinae sp Bolivia looks to be a smaller species but not dwarf, terrestrial but not a burrower? I like its appearance (an interesting blue/grey colour) but know nothing of its behaviour or temperament. I know even less about the Theraphosinae sp Yucatan, other than it's a burrower that constructs a turret type burrow. Perhaps a Crassicrus species? I did find this page showing Crassicrus species from that area of Mexico with such a burrow.

Anyways, does anyone have any information of these two Theraphosinae sp? Is anyone currently keeping either?

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...ainforest-on-road-to-Grutas-de_fig2_315927459

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnosquire Active Member

I have the yucatan although I can’t say much about it. I’ve only had it for about 4 months maybe.
    Hardly ever out. It stays in its hole but lightning fast when it takes down crickets. Amazing banding on its legs. It’s about an inch maybe.
    Sorry I can’t say too much

3. MikeyD

Thanks man, it's more than I knew otherwise. Did you get it out of curiosity? I'm intrigued because I think the type of burrow it builds sounds interesting. Did yours make a little raised turret type borrow?. Has it moulted yet for you?

4. Mini8leggedfreak

It made two holes but not like raised. You mean like an ant hill??
    I got it bc there’s not much known about them and I want to be able to help people like yourself.....but u asked too soon

Sorry. It did moult yes but idk when bc I have hardly ever seen it’s full body. The burrow is more uniform than most I’ve seen though. Like the walls remind me of a trapdoors tunnel.
    It does need a bigger home so maybe it will do the turret thing if it has a new spot with more space.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
  5. MikeyD

Yeah, I imagine in time that the burrow looks almost like a short earthen tube/chimney instead of just a silk lined hole. Will be interesting to see if that's true or if the T would incorporate small leaves or other objects to help build the burrow entrance.

6. Mini8leggedfreak

Even just for the looks and the fact that not many people have them. That’s reason enough to get one. The care is strait forward

CDCDCC76-39B6-4C32-A1FD-D5DF172EE8B2.jpeg 4343CAB2-3A9F-4CCC-A3E7-BE221D4F127C.jpeg Just thought I’d update you. Rehoused the sp yucatan and it built like a tunnel above the ground.....?
    Weird spider

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018