Looking for Hobo Pics...

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone have or know where to find a GOOD pic of a hobo spider? I want to learn to identify this spider as accurately as one can by visual markings. Most of the pics I find are either of poor quality, a bad angle, or of a dead spider that has dried out.

There are many species of funnel weavers (Tegenaria) in my area and I would just like to know which ones are which...

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have a look at www.hobospider.org . One way to tell a hobo spider from another Tegeneria is to test it's temperament, pke the web or something ; the hobo spider is the only really aggressive Tegeneria.

>>> There are many species of funnel weavers (Tegenaria) in my area and I would just like to know which ones are which

<<<< Hobo spiders are found ( in North America ) only in the Pacific northwest USA , and down into the northern and western parts of Utah , and SouthWestern Canada. Are you sure they are one of the Tegeneria in your area ? Anyway, the address I gave you has a map of where the necrotic spiders ( including hobos ) are in the USA. You can access the map from the sac spider or recluse page I think.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's odd... I have been to that site prolly 20 times off an on over the last year or so... The photos there have always been dead or broken links and I finally gave up. Now they are there! Oh well...

I live in Oregon, smack dab in the middle of thier range. Tegenaria species are quite common here. If the photos there are correct then I have collected 5 female T. agrestis.

Anyone want a hobo in thier collection? To tell you the truth they are fairly easy to keep and are hardy eaters. I don't see much "agression" from them... more skiddish if anything. I think they would also ship fine in USPS Priority Mail for a few bucks too. They are quite tough and handle lower temps just fine.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have what I believe is a juvenile hobo spider. A friend caught it and brought it to me awhile back. It's been thriving for over a month, eating everything I throw its way. Can't wait to see how it matures.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sure would like to see a clear photo of it sometime. I find that even on websites that the T. agrestis gets misidentified quite frequently. The T. atrica is VERY similar in appreance.

This is the picture that I use currently for comparision.

http://hobospider.org/widows.html

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hoi i found a huge specimen of the tegeneria outside my house.. and a couple of em inside.. so there's a "venomous" Tegenaria sp? to humans i mean.. cool.. I live in Norway btw

Edit: the one's in my house is no doubt the domestica ones.. but the huge one from my garden/backyard?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The really Big ones are probably T. gigantea, which aren't venomous to humans. T. agrestis really isn't a very large spider. T. giganteas are still kool tho !

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice.. wish they were more visible during wintertime.. i lost the huge one i found...There's supposed to be a fairly large swampspider here in norway too.. never found one though