Looking for Feedback on Lateralis Set Up

Lord Mort

Arachnopeon
I'd like to get some feedback on this Lateralis Set Up.

I used Two storage bins. The big one is a 30 gal, the smaller one is about 24 gal. The 24g fits nicely inside the 30g. I figured this method could double as an insulation barrier and a "double wall" for extra security against escapees.

I was hoping to skip ventilation but I no longer think that is feasible as I found an adult casualty today. I was thinking I could remove the lid on the inner container and drill holes in the outer container. Do you think this would make for adequate ventilation?

I was also wondering about heating ideas. A friend of mine and I came up with this... Use an aquarium heater set to 90° in a large bottle of water. I would hope this could take care of humidity and temperature together.

What do you guys think so far?

Attachments

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
I used the heater system as well in the beginning but as they grew in numbers ventilation became extremely important and the heater hasn’t needed anymore, ooths hatch just fine with just a regular under tank heater or hot garage. You MUST have ventilation at least on half on the opening or else condensation from a huge colony will kill your culture quick. I cut my lids and hot glue cloth over it. This keeps flies out as well. I hope this helps.

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
Not really. In a bind I even use paper towels haha. So long as it can block phorid flies, it’ll work.